Jackie, Jackie, Jackie... tsk, tsk, tsk... look what have you done!!!
Yes--this is exactly the kind of thing I'd hoped would happen! Intelligent, multi-faceted discussion without rancor. Though I was really hoping to hear from our bookstore lady who, besides liking these kinds of discussions (I think), may have a foot in both camps, as it were.
Keith, I'd just like to say that, when you referred to "her" choice, I hope you meant Oprah, not me. I haven't read the book, either (very apt, that praises-but-doesn't-read remark!), and in fact don't read Steinbeck at all because I don't like to read depressing things.
I don't watch Oprah, either, but from what Helen says, it sounds like she (Oprah) makes an effort to have a varied list.* I can't make a blanket statement such as, "Reading ANYthing is better than not reading at all"; but--I think I have to say that, for the chance that SOME people will read her recommendation(s) and go on to improve themselves, Oprah's book club is a good thing. This somewhat relates to what I said in the thread about education in our country these days: that there needs to be a wide-based change in society, i.e. that learning and academic achievement are good things that one should strive for; and if a star can use his or her name-recognition to even plant this seed, then I'm all for it. A whole LOT of people will watch Oprah but wouldn't go to a library or bookstore.
*I got curous and went to the club's website (something just told me there'd be one!). It doesn't say who the targeted audience is, but I'd say it's a safe bet to agree that it's primarily women.