I can't say I'm personally enthusiastic about any of Oprah's reading suggestions, but then again I don't think they are aimed at someone like me, or anyone else on this board really. I think what Oprah is doing, though, is wonderful.

Most people working average jobs never read much in school, and their parents probably didn't read much to them either. They took the easier classes, and probably got by with a large dose of Cliff's Notes on top of that. After high school they didn't go to college, or if they did, they majored in business or accounting or something and didn't read much. Hell, most of the physicians I know haven't read much beyond the odd John Grisham novel. They wouldn't know Atticus Finch from Barney Fife.

We live in a different world from those people. I really don't consider myself particularly well-read, but to a lot of people with average educations I am some sort of walking library. When I make recommendations of books to people, though, they won't read them. They don't have time. They're not interested. Alex has weird taste. I couldn't talk a confectioner into reading Roald Dahl, but Oprah ... now that's another story.

I don't think critics need to concern themselves with Oprah. Her choices are beneath their contempt, and I mean that in a good way. Instead of sneering, they should just be glad that she is doing remedial work with a nation that didn't learn much in school.* Let people enjoy East of Eden. If they like it, say to them, "well here's one that's even better," and give them a copy of something you like. And while you're at it, toss in something for their kid.

*Disclaimer: I had to look up the spelling of "remedial." LOL