...any number of other writers whom they consider worthy, but not one normal person in a hundred (or maybe in a thousand) would enjoy (or even understand)

That sounds like a *version of normalcy to me.

-----------

I think people who are prone to a particular political bent - capitalism is ultimately corrupt - are the ones who think highly of either of these.
+
No. I made no statement that all those who dislike capitalism will like this book and this movie - not that everyone who dislikes C would like them, but that they'd be prone to liking them.

You said specifically people prone to the political *bend that "capitalism is ultimately corrupt" are the ones who "think highly of these" ("these" being the movie/book.) You may have not wished to say it, but you did. I stand by my extrapolation (not necessarily my response ).

----------

I assume most people are capable of understanding most things they're willing to put the effort into understanding.

I knew we were on the same page, basically.

- however -

Grouping academics into a *pile of pompousness is about as appropriate to this discussion as is accepting the lesser of two "evils" as a justification for normalcy... but let's not go there...

My point was: the Pope doesn't make "normal" standards for me, nor do I accept those from Oprah (ever so slightly less pious )...

...and on a seperate note...your opinion of her opinion shouldn't be grouped in with "the rest of the English speaking humanity".

-----------

FF - We must reserve the rest of the political discussion for off board...