Don't forget the history of the gloriette, an architectural structure we examined about a year and a half ago on the board. The gloriette developed into a huge, truly enormous at times, freestanding structure used as a focal point at the end of a lake on an estate, for example, or as a focal point in a garden. In researching the development of the gloriette when the topic came up on AWAD, I learned that the gloriette was originally a structure within the castle gates and could even, in some examples, be attached to the castle itself. The gloriette migrated into gardens over time and in the late 18th century there were examples of the gloriette far away from the residence. Of the photographs of gloriettes online, I saw ones that looked like guest houses and one in particular somewhere in Europe that was a truly glorious gloriette with enough glass to furnish the Crystal Palace. Yes, I exaggerate. But that gloriette was expansive and full of windows and rooms.

Anyway, since we're talking about structures that enhance residences, let's not forget the gloriette.