In reply to:

I don't know, WW, Oaks have so many varieties! the oaks of the west coat are very different than the oaks of the northeast..

What in Sam's Hill were you questioning, of troy? I did not begin to suggest in any way that there were not 'many varieties' of oaks. In fact, oaks are probably the one type of tree that I readily and easily can identify many species.

Quercus is the genus that covers what dendrologists generally divide into two huge groups: the white and black oaks. The whites (and that is not Quercus alba here, although included in the big subdivision) generally have smoothly lobed leaves and the blacks (and that is not Quercus velutina exclusively, but also included in the other big subdivision) generally have prickle-like leaf endings, such as on pin, black, Northern red and willow oaks.

The only thing I missed in wwh's writing was the specific common name to which he was referring and then in rereading I spotted the term and became interested in that specific species since I had not come across it--no surprise there either since it's on the west coast and the oak species I am familiar with are eastern species. I would be surprised to find a specifically named west coast species in VA. At a botanical garden here? Well, that's altogether different. But not growing wild. I believe I can identify just about every species of Quercus here in my neck of the woods--but am always delighted to find still another that escaped my attention.

What were you arguing with? I certainly indicated that the California oak was one with which I was unfamiliar and I certainly was not arguing that there was only one species of white oak. Please let me understand your argument better.

And your white oaks: I take it they were Quercus alba--but they could easily have been in that broad group not delineated by species that dendrologists refer to as the white oak (i.e., not specifically Quercus alba) group--such as, for example, the post oaks that are also in that subdivision. Quercus alba, the specific 'white oaks' are huge in height and can live as long as 500 years under ideal circumstances. From your description, I would guess you had Quercus alba in your yard.