Books I read between ages 10 and 14. Dad had an extensive library - we are, after all, a newspaper family!
<
The Scarlet Pimpernel -Baroness Orczy (sp?)
Jayne Eyre
The Collected Short Stories of Guy de Maupassant especially the one about the pearl necklace!
The Casebook of Sherlock Holme - Conan Doyle
All th P.G. Wodehouse stories... I laughed at Bertie and wished I had Jeeves to help me!
If you can find it : "Born In Paradise" by Armine von Tempski - the first volume of an autobiography by von Tempski - set in time when she was a young girl growing up on Maui, Hawaii. Originally published in 1940.
ISBN : 0-918024-34-X The 1985 reprint in large format paperback is by Ox Bow Press, Woodbridge Connecticut
<
Newer books I have given to youngsters:
"Mistakes That Worked" Charlotte Jones with Illus. by John O'Brien - (from silly putty to penicillin and Post-Its!)

If you want to go for the Big Bucks -$40.-
"Fairie-ality :The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand" by Eugenie Baird. A great Christmas gift for a young girl. My 13-year old granddaughter is getting it this
Christmas. Superb quality throughout.
And finally, for Dad :
"101 Secrets a Good Dad Knows" by Walter Browder and Sue Ellen Browder - rescue baby birds, throw a curve ball, skip rocks, build acampfire, slide into second etc. etc. etc.
Some of these books I found when I started to get the Bas Blue catalogue http://www.basblue.com Good stuff you would have to browse for days to find in a bookstore!
That should be enough to be going on with ....