i read Pearl Buck's The Good Earth at that age.. i thought it was the raciest book i had ever read! (after all there was all that stuff about concubines!) with their background, they might find Buck too simple, or just wrong.. but it would be a starting point-- My Antonia and if you can find the Freman's book Mrs Mike its a great read.. a young girl with pluresie, is sent west, to the wilds of yukon for her health.. the relatives back east are uncertain that even the pure air of the west can heal her lungs, but once in the west, she is expected to 'pull her own weight'.. The Light in Forest is another book that stirs my memory.. its set in the mid 1800's, and its about a boy who was 'kidnapped' by indians (that is the western veiw--his perceptions are different) at the age of 7 or so, and is 'recovered' to his original family age 18.

all three books are about cultural perceptions; one is Ms Buck's perceptions of China, the other two are about teen agers who are changing their perception of the world... because all the things they think they know have been changed...

The Chosen is another choice.. its about the small insulular world of orthodox Jews.. from the outside world, these religious jews often look the same to non jews, but from their perpective, small details speak of large differences.. and since these kids are growing up in NY in the 1950/60's..(baseball figures alot in this book, if she like baseball, it will help hook her!--i liked it even though i am not a baseball fan)
Bronx Boy is another great growing up book.. semi autobiographical, it is funny-- set in prewar NY(well the bronx!) its about the adventures about a boy who runs away from home.. only to find, he brings it with him, where ever he goes.

i guess i fit into the truism, that girls will read books about boys, (where as most boys will not read books with girls as main character)