Leaving aside the various corollary meanings of both take and bring, if you look at the words in their original senses it seems quite straight forward.

Bring has a sense of immediacy and target-orientation by the speaker "I'll bring some booze." is something you would say to the person whose place you are intending to invade. "I'll take some booze." implies that the action is not going to be immediate (although, of course, it can be), and that you are not talking to someone at the target location. I might say to meine Frau: "I'm going to Jim's place and I'm taking some booze.", but I would never say to her "I'm going to Jim's place and I'm bringing some booze." But I would say to Jim "I am coming to your place and I'm bringing some booze." Note also that the verb in the main clause changed as well, "come/go".

It's one of those quirky things which allows us to easily distinguish between native speakers of English and people who learned it as a second language. Oh, and some Americans who don't know the difference.