If you're tempted to buy "The Shelters of Stone" by Jean M. Auel, don't bother. It's rubbish and I wasted £5.99. Gosh, how'd you get it so cheaply? An on-line bookseller has it for four times that much. One of their critics agrees with you, though: Soon the reader realizes that half of the book has passed with just about nothing of import happening. Auel spends so much time with the stories of Ayla's past that it often seems as if this book is meant to be a refresher course instead of a new installment. Auel's research is impressive, but when it comes to character development, the novel is frighteningly juvenile. I hadn't realized the fifth one was out; I rather thought she'd given up, or died, or something, after 12 years since the 4th. one. I read the first one avidly, the next 3 less so: I too agree that all that research is remarkable, but pretty soon you get tired of reading about the minutiae which, after all, must be a good deal surmised.

I plan to find a bio of Beatrix Potter; I went to her museum in the Lake District on my recent journey, and learned that she based many of her drawings on her actual surroundings at the time. What a talented lady she was! And now, thanks to Maverick, I know what foxgloves are, and can imagine Jemima Puddleduck and the "gentleman with sandy whiskers" even better.

On a different note: how do you people find the TIME, to read all these books?! You are making me absolutely drool, but to get to even half of them, I would have to a.) lock away my computer, and b.) hire a maid, cook, and chauffeur. And probably give up sleep, too...