Vika i'm with you.. i hated Tess, and don't much like anything by Hardy (on the other hand, my daughter loves the book, and everything she has read by Hardy!)

i thought the book depressing. since fiction, like life becomes more interesting when we see change.. growth, in some way, in the characters.. and i didn't see any in Tess. things happen to her, she is not in control of any part of her life.. except her thoughts, and here she thinks thing happen i can't control them.. oh well.

i am a generally happy person. i have had adversity in my life.. I haven't been blessed with endles bounty (physical, or emotional or any other way) its not been perfect, hererofore, but my feeling about things are idependant almost of reality...

sure i had a rotton childhood.. but every year it becomes less signicant in my emotional life (it still shows up in somethings,) but my past (and even my current circumstances!) don't keep me from being happy!

I think i am young, and act young, and people respond to me, as if i where younger than i am... the reality about my actual age doesn't interfer with my feelings!
Tess is the oposite! all of hardy's femine character are the same, there is not one i would want as friend!

Yeah, he wrote of a specific time.. but even in that time others were writing about a different reality!