What Helen said.
Now, "The Original Boston Cooking School Cook Book 1896" by Fannie Merritt Farmer (The US Mrs. Beaton) says :
"Batter is a mix of flour and some liquid (usually combined with other ingredients; as sugar, salt, eggs, etc.) of consistancy to pour easily or drop from a spoon.
Batters are termed thin or thick according to the consistancy
Sponge is a batter to which yeast is added.
Dough differs from batter inasmuch as it is stiff enough to handle."

In New England a favorite biscuit is the Baking Powder biscuit which is used to make *traditional Strawberry Shortcake.
(Begin direct Quotes from TOBCSCB)
Baking powder Biscuit I.
2 cups flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon lard, 3/4 cup milk and water in equal parts,
1 tablespoon butter.
Mix dry ingredients and sift twice.
Work in butter and lard with tips of fingers; add gradually the liquid; mixing with knife to a soft dough. It is impossible to determine the exact amount of liquid owing to differences in flour. Toss on a floured board, pat, and roll lightly into one-half inch thickness. Shape with a biscuit cutter. Place on a buttered pan and bake in hot oven twelve to fifteen minutes. If baked in too slow an oven the gas will escape before it has done its work.
Baking Powder Biscuits II
2 cups flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 2 tablespoons butter,½ teaspoon salt.
Mix and bake as Baking Powder Biscuit I.
Emergency Biscuits
Use recipe for Baking Powder Biscuit I or II with the addition of more milk, that mixture may be dropped from a spoon without spreading. Drop by spoonfuls on a buttered pan, one-half inch apart. Brush over with milk and bake in a hot oven eight minutes." (End Quotes)

Please do not get on my case about spoonfuls/spoonsfull - I am quoting directly and that's what Fannie wrote!
There is also a chapter on "Gingerbreads, Cookies and Wafers" which contains a recipe for "Scotch Wafers" which reads suspiciously like scones! (Ask and it shall be PMd to you)
A reprint of the original cookbook was published in 1974 by The New American Library, Inc. 1301 Avenue of the Americas (6th Ave) Ny NY 10019 The New American Library of Canada Limited, 81 Mach Avenue, Scarborough, 704 Ontario.
I believe it is still in print.
You're gonna love the dedication:
"To Mrs. William B. Sewall,
President of the Boston Cooking School
In appreciation of her helpful encouragement and untiring efforts in promoting the work of scientific cookery, which means the elevation of the human race.
This book is affectionately dedicated
By The Author"
There are also menus given - from breakfast to 12 course formal dinner! It's a great fun read for those who do not cook!
So I am doing a bit for the "elevation of the human race" and don't want any cracks about food threads!