yeah, but.. coffee first starts getting imported to italy just about the same time as the medici's have an influx of their spanish cousins...

the spanish court might well have had an old existing network, left over from the moors.. it is when spanish royality moves to italy, that italians start importing coffee from the arab world...

i know my source for the information is a bit sketchy--i read it in a biography of Queen Isabela, (a catholic press book, a gift from my parents) i know catholic historians painted a world in which the decisions of catholics monarchs were good.. (it hard a hard time explaining queen isabela's treatment of the jews..) but i don't see any reason for them to lie about coffee.. (the whole subject was handled from the point of how could the queen give up wine, (because protocal demanded that if she passed on wine, everyone dining in the same hall would also have to pass.. the same sort of protocal still exist today with the english court) and not have a negitive impact.. her solution was she had a priviate pitch, and it contained coffee, and everyone else had pitchers that contained wine..and no one was the wiser.. so she was not only pious, but modest in her piety!

the book made mention that coffee was an arab drink, one of the things of value that the moor had gotten in trade.. but mostly it focused on how spiritual she was, how kind, how she sacrificed, but did not make her court suffer.( well they had to find something good to say about her, they had trouble explaining away the treatment of jews.. and the inquisition! (but that they credited /blamed on over zealot priests.)