this is one of my favorite words.. the root word, not IE, but still a big one for english.. the root word means everything.. among the list is shirt, skirt, shorts, and scarf!
and the words shirt/skirt give us lots of idioms too!

shirt
1. A garment for the upper part of the body, typically having a collar, sleeves, and a front opening. 2. An undershirt. 3. A nightshirt.
IDIOMS: keep (one's) shirt on Slang To remain calm or patient: The plane doesn't land for another hour, so keep your shirt on. lose (one's) shirt Slang To lose everything one has or owns. the shirt off (one's) back Slang The maximum one is able to give or lose: The only thing those swindlers didn't take was the shirt off my back.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English shirte, from Old English scyrte, short garment. See sker-1 in Appendix I.
http://www.bartleby.com/61/6/S0350600.html (shirt)
http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE467.html

skirt-
1. The part of a garment, such as a dress or coat, that hangs freely from the waist down. 2. A garment hanging from the waist and worn by women and girls. 3. A part or attachment resembling the skirt of a garment, especially: a. One of the leather flaps hanging from the side of a saddle. b. The lower outer section of a rocket vehicle. c. A flexible strip hanging from the base of an air-cushion vehicle. d. A piece of fabric that extends over or beyond something to afford protection. 4. An outer edge; a border or margin: a base camp on the skirt of the mountain. 5. skirts The edge, as of a town; the outskirts. 6. Offensive Slang A woman.
VERB: Inflected forms: skirt·ed, skirt·ing, skirts

TRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To lie along or form the edge of; border: the creek that skirts our property. 2. To pass around rather than across or through: changed their course to skirt the storm. 3. To pass close to; miss narrowly: The bullet skirted an artery. 4. To evade, as by circumlocution: skirted the controversial issue.
INTRANSITIVE VERB: To lie along, move along, or be an edge or a border.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old Norse skyrta, shirt. See sker-1 in Appendix I.