Jazz,

Perhaps the reason the media is viewing this as such a crisis has something to do with the fact that everyone in the US who has any stake in this election, and anyone who had anything to do with either the design or the execution of the election has decided to file a lawsuit. I've stopped trying to keep up with it all, but haven't Gush and Bore both threatened to sue each other and the Florida Board of Elections, and the people of Palm Beach for not being able to vote properly? Haven't the People of Palm Beach filed suit against Buchanan for having his button above Gore's? Hasn't a significant percentage of the population of Florida filed suit against the poor woman who designed the ill-fated ballot? Hasn't tsuwm shown us that the British Monarchy plans to take legal action against the United States as a whole for their indecision. Isn't there a Constitutional Amendment being discussed to remove the Electoral College because it's such a poor way of picking a president. (however unlikely that is to succeed)

I heard someone say that when they run the ballots through the machines 5 times they get 5 different answers. Maybe they think they can do it by hand better. Maybe they're just having fun being in the spotlight.

As for McCain, I certainly know that I'd have been much happier to have McCain than Bush for a President. (is this the first time I've agreed with you about anything on this subject?)