Now, you’re just jerking our chain, I’m sure, but that’s cool. Britain is a small place, you wouldn’t expect much variation, but local factors bring it about. I’m not very knowledgeable on physical geography, but here’s how I think it is. Deluge is probably a nice segue into it actually.

- The prevailing wind across the British Isles is southwesterly; it picks up loads of water from the wide Atlantic and dumps it on us. Consequently Ireland and the western side of Britain, which happens also to be the side with the hilliest terrain, are much wetter than the eastern side.

- The North Sea is very narrow, not allowing much water to be taken up, so when we do get east winds they are dry. Europe is very flat to the east of the British Isles and easterlies come unimpeded all the way from the Urals so they are also cold except in summer.

- Then there's the Gulf Stream, that keeps the west coast a bit warmer, and without which we would all be frantic to move somewhere much further south; the latitude of London is about that of northern Newfoundland.

- Much of the flat eastern side of the country is very fertile, whereas the western side is more rocky with thinner topsoil.

- So the difference in rainfall, the damp south westerly winds on the west side, the dryer, colder easterly winds on the east side, and the difference in geology and top-soils between the two coasts allows for marked variation in flora and fauna, not to say traditional lifestyles.

To be honest, I am often amazed at the contrast in the countryside, the crops, the animals, even the building materials, that can be seen in just a few miles – when travelling between London and the south coast for example.

Anyway, there is a lot of variety – its probably the best thing about the place, or has led to the best things.