If someone else slacks off and gets paid or somehow rewarded for it, I can't really see what I accomplish by being less than I am by way of revenge.

I read this last night and remember thinking that it's admirable, but you must not be like "most people", who would become demoralized (as helen said) and leave at the first opportunity. Salient example: My husband worked in a factory for a little over a year. There were about six or seven guys in his section, and he produced a full ONE HALF of their section's output. And he got paid the same crummy wage as the others, regardless. Let me tell you, he never let his work slack off to their level, but he was counting down the days until he was out of that hell-hole. I think that's the sort of thing that better management would have avoided: they would've seen that most of the guys weren't working, and fired them, and replaced them with guys who actually HAD a work ethic. Instead, the whole factory got a raise, slackers and all, when production hit a certain number of units per day for a given time period. It may emphasize "team playing", but it teaches the slackers they don't have to do any work, and they'll still get a raise, and it teaches the hard workers to get the hell out of there. Interestingly, I heard the factory is floundering now. Good thing he got out when he did is all I can say.