Re:As far as I'm concerned, the only thing I can manage is myself.

yup, that is true-- and as a result, you are a managers dream-- but many people get caught up in politics, and group dynamics.. and if we are all being paid to do work, and i am not, and you constantly have to pick up my slack, and the manager does nothing.. you have seveal choices.. do nothing, talk to me or managment.. or change jobs..

when i was a (acting) manager ata company (for less than 6 months) they were laying off, and contracting, and years of poor managment meant they were hemoraging people.. i got a 'team' of employees, all under 30, most with less than 5 years at the company, and a boom market.. between "upper management" decisions, and other factors(people quit or were fired for actions that i was not involved in,(ie, one employee was caught stealing by customer at customer site, and was arrested!),i had 75% turn over in employees in 6 months-- and then i was told, i didn't successfull manage to meet all the upper managment set goals! (like improved morale!)

smart dissatisfied employee 'vote with their feet'.. smart satisfied employees remain for ever!