"well, there are some bad managers out there..
one of the points of the book is most people start out as eager, happy, excited.. and with poor
management, they become disgruntled, sullen workers.. and management often complains and tells them
to buck up.. they see it at as a morale problem, when in reality it is often a larger problem
(and sometimes it can't be "managed")"

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing I can manage is myself. If someone else slacks off and gets paid or somehow rewarded for it, I can't really see what I accomplish by being less than I am by way of revenge. If someone hires me (for pay or as a volunteer) the agreement is that I will do what I say, and they will respond as they have said they will. Wasting time and energy figuring out whether it's unfair for someone to do less and get rewarded for it is tempting, but ultimately a waste of, well, time and energy. Intentionally working more slowly than a coworker so they can be given more work is behavior that is a common strategy, but it's nothing to do with how I do my job. It's between that other worker and his/her conscience, it seems to me. The whole situation can be very hard to swallow; I know that from experience. You can't control other people's behavior, only your own response to it.