Regarding a couple of Fallible's observations:

" But I gotta say, that there are people who were really stupid in their youths who are even more stupid in their adulthood."

Personal account: Grand ladies--lovely, well-groomed always, mannerly--from my childhood. I was intimidated by them--I was such a mess, particularly physically. But they were held up as some kind of ideal by family members. Came across them recently. Now they're elderly. Was terribly disappointed to hear most of their conversation centered around: hair appointments--walk-ins v. regularly scheduled ones; best lengths of hair; glasses as stylish accessories. You get the picture. They just had not grown into something wiser. Still stuck in perfected physical appearance. Not saying they haven't done a lot of good. Just saying that I was shocked that their remarkable appearance commented on so much as I was coming up as a child was still what they worked at and talked about.

"William James used to preach the will to believe ... for my part I should wish to preach the will to doubt "

Always doubt. That's how any theory or theory-breaker moves forward. But you still have to have the will to believe in your ability to doubt well. And with direction. And with creativity.