re:And just what is the next generation going to have to do to establish themselves?

The pendulum swings.. and we will find our selves with super conservative grandchildren! In the 1920's things got loosey-goosey-- in the fifties, thing were all straight laced again.. they started to change in the mid 1960's, and parents were agast at their children..and their behavior..

in one letter in an dear abby/agony aunt collumn, (it was in the 'brin'tel breif',a column in the Forward, a yiddish language paper) an elderly couple didn't know what to do... there children (now in their early, mid and late forties) wanted to know their parent 'wedding' date, so they could plan a 50th wedding anniversary party..
the problem was, they had never married! and what's more were too embarassed to explain this to their children,, since one of their children was in a dispute with a grandchild,who was living with out the blessing of wedlock, which was making the parents very upset! what goes around comes around!

My daughter, is more more politically conserative than i am, and my father, while only a rockerfeller republican* in many ways was still much more conservative than i am!

the northest, and NY in particular were home to the most liberal members of the republican party, and while they didn't dominate, they did have alot of influence. since nelson was then governern of NY, and a powerful influence, this part of the party got called 'rockerfeller republicans'. today, the republican party is extremely right-wing, and the NY/rockerfeller republican influence is unfelt.