"Young readers can respond startlingly well to much of this complexity. From these novels they get not only magic, bravery, fun, satire, some pointed lessons on racism, a call to arms against cynicism and sheer page-turning pleasure, they also get a master-class in plot construction, and a mighty mental work-out in memory, anticipation and narrative alertness. Those critics who suggest the Harry Potter books are inherently simplistic fail to look past the pleasing frolics to the remarkable scale and tenacity of invention involved." Catherine Lockerbie, 15th Scotsman July 2000 http://www.scotsman.com/cgi-bin/t3.cgi/taf/books.taf? I'm not sure how long this link will work (I'll try to update it) but the review is from a journalist who's work I respect.

Of course there is hype. I'm not altogether happy about it but it does seem to go with the territory of things for children - Buzz Lightyear, Teletubbies, Tracey Island. All were sell-outs here in recent Christmas shopping frenzies.

Firstly it is amazing to see a ... book ... in the same category. Secondly the thing the book has, like Neighbours, Friends, Eastenders or whatever children watch is a very discussable plot. It has reached a critical mass so it is possible to discuss aspects of the plot with other children in a way that is usually confined to films or television.

In the review above one of the things that is highlighted is that way that a small item on one page of the first book suddenly becomes very important in the third or fourth book.

I didn't get a ticket for the recent book signing in Edinburgh but a friend took her daughter along. She had to queue for over an hour to get her book signed but there wasn't a problem. The children were all moving along quietly with their heads in their books. Even with her experience as an primary school teacher, she was stunned!

I'll have to go now and persuade my eleven year old to take a break from reading to have some breakfast. I have hardly seen her since she got her book yesterday!