The Telegraph using Americanisms! Oh, horrors. [heavy sarcasm e] Um, the Telegraph is a London paper, right? [ditto]

Yes, wow, the article describes what sounds like dropping out to me. What was that old, 3-part saying? Something something, (maybe) drug in, drop out? Dropping out is pretty much what I did, I guess, when I quit working the summer before my kids started to school. We're really influenced by our parents, or however we were raised, aren't we? My mom worked full time until she reached retirement age, so that we could have a better lifestyle and so that I could have a college education. I honestly don't know how we would have fared on my father's salary alone, but that's neither here nor there. I remember that she couldn't come to PTA meetings or other daytime school functions. Nowadays, it has sometimes seemed like I'm the only mom who doesn't work. My husband and I felt that, since you only get one childhood, we'd like for one of us to be more involved in our kids'. So I bought most of their clothes and toys at yard sales and consignment shops, and have never regretted my choice. I have been privileged to be very involved in their school lives, and they have seemed to enjoy it, by and large. Yes, I was a bit lonesome for adult company at times, but I'd do the same thing again without hesitation. However, this place sure helps fill in that gap, now! :-)