ps. Don't get me started on SV Road versus Ghodbunder Road, Vallabhbhai Patel Road versus Linking Road, and the like. At least Alexander Graham Bell Road is considered politically correct enough to remain!

When legislation was finally passed making Maori an official language of NZ, with the same legal standing as English, many place names were changed. In most cases the older, original, Maori names were simply appended to the front of the English names. Often the Maori names are much more mellifluous (thanks to my compatriot). So instead of Mt. Cook we have Aoraki/Mt. Cook, Mt. Egmont is now Taranaki/Mt. Egmont, and, though seldom seen, Aotearoa/New Zealand. While many people feel that these changes are more PC madness, I like the Maori names, especially Aoraki, meaning "cloud piercer." Every city and town in NZ also has its own official Maori name, which may be used in postal addresses, though I'm sure many postal sorters devoutly hope not to see them, as most are totally unknown, even to their residents.