Well, I guess you all know more than I do......it seems I have made a habit of presenting misinformation on this board :(

I guesss my Economics professor did not know what he was talking about.........

I still say the companies love having *their* brand name bandied about as a generic term for a type of product. For instance, Kleenex.....If a person knows they need to buy "kleenex" at the store, are they not more likely to buy Kleenex brand once they see the array of brands of facial tissues on the shelf?....simply because that is the brand they are more familiar with, due to the generic use of the word "kleenex" ??? I would Think the companies would love that!

They are foolish not to love that, imho, because that is virtually free advertisement by word of mouth. I don't believe that it diminishes the strength of their brand name.

I used to work for Hallmark.....and I know for a fact that Hallmark (although I'm sure someone will present facts to prove me wrong) wanted the use of their name to mean "greeting card" as in: "I need to run down and buy a hallmark for Mom for Mother's Day."