Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#99380 03/26/03 05:02 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Complain all you want, Musick. I'm not agreeing with Britannica either way. I'm just interested in how people here conceive of concrete and abstract thought.

Interesting that we haven't opened up any discussion of abstract art...

P.S. It could be argued that all thought is a form of abstraction, but that argument would be too diverting.

#99381 03/26/03 05:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
... or concrete poetry.

#99382 03/26/03 05:41 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
abstract: 2: expressing a quality apart from an object <the word poem is concrete, poetry is ~>

#99383 03/29/03 11:19 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Interesting that we haven't opened up any discussion of abstract art...

Personally, I don't consider any visual art form to be abstract. Non-representational - sure; but visual art is a concrete expression of thoughts and feelings, as well as a different way of viewing concrete objects.

#99384 03/29/03 12:12 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
So, Rhubarb, what do you make of comments such as the one I paste from Britannica:

"FRANZ MARC: "(1880-1916) German painter.

His early works were academic, but exposure to Impressionism and Jugendstil lightened his style, and in 1911, with Vassily Kandinsky and other abstract painters, he became a founding member of the Blaue Reiter group. He believed that spiritual essence is best revealed through abstractionand was passionately interested in the art of primitive peoples, children, and the mentally ill. His own work consisted primarily of animal studies, since he believed nonhuman forms of life to be the most expressive manifestation of the vital force of nature. He was killed in action in World War I."

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
We don't use them much now not because people are more concrete (????) but because they aren't haven't heard of proverbs.

Zed, are you saying that nowadays people aren't familiar with proverbs [aka aphorisms] like "a rolling stone gathers no moss"?

If true, that's rather startling. How do you account for this? Is it all part of the general dilution of literacy in schools which began with the elimination of memorized passages, usually poetry?

If we are raising students with no awareness of the aphorisms which have been part of our common language, in some cases, for hundreds of years, and no awareness of poetry, who will write the speeches which future leaders will deliver to the generations to come? Will our leaders stir the masses with rap verses? [Perhaps, it has already come to that.]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
raising students with no awareness of the aphorisms

They got plenty to learn about in school these days without learning pieces of nonsense about rolling stones. When's the last time you even saw a stone roll? Any school kid I've known these days leaves us old coots behind in so many things I'm not going to fret over red skies at night or selling unkilled bearskins.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
When's the last time you even saw a stone roll?

Lemme think. Ah yes, about the same time I last saw a kid leave school who wasn't IMHO semi-illiterate and completely functionally uneducated.

You can stuff kids chock full of facts using video clips and picures without ever educating them. I agree, the need for them to read real words or to understand anything about the past which isn't connected to the production of video games or violent movies is strictly for the birds. So let's just give the education away and save our government - and, indirectly, us taxpayers - a shitload of moolah.

Maybe isolated facts about irrelevancies are enough in this brave new world, anyway.

- Pfranz

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wordmin and Cap: when's the last time you spent any time in a public school? have you volunteered your time? have you read to your children? are you helping?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Michigan has grants for poets and poetry in the schools, who knows for how much longer, but a friend of mine, Terry Wooten, has been a traveling school poet for at least 20 years and a friend of his, Max Ellison, was for years before him. I remember Max coming to my high school. My daughter and son remember Terry. When my daughter was in first grade, she was sooo excited to personally know the poetry man....

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith