Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#96558 02/22/03 08:11 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, Plutarch...I was just making light. Nothing serious in what I wrote. In fact, I had misgivings about what I wrote when I went out this afternoon. I thought, "Suppose someone thinks I was serious?" No, I wasn't at all. I'd hoped that my sense of absurdity would have come across with the comment about oil derivatives--and Aunt Polly. There are many good arguments for staying away from the slaughter of animals, and I really do respect those who are determined to refrain from eating meat.

From what I've read about vegetarianism, the fruitarians have the hardest time of it.

Best regards,
WW

#96559 02/22/03 08:16 PM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>From what I've read about vegetarianism, the fruitarians have the hardest time of it.

Yeah well, with a name like fruitarians, they are just begging to be given a hard time.

#96560 02/22/03 09:19 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Faldage: I think strict Vegans would have a problem keeping their unborn children from
"drinking" their mother's blood while in utero. Gotta be consistent, right?
And if they need surgery, they mustn't have any transfusions, no doubt.

#96561 02/23/03 12:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
keeping their unborn children from "drinking" their mother's blood while in utero

Interesting points Dr Bill. I don't know anyone that I know to be vegan, but I could imagine easily enough that their reluctance to use any animal products would disappear if the animal product in question were known to be given with completely informed consent, as would be the case with anything given by a mother from her own body to an unborn (or even born) child or with any blood donations but would definitely not be the case with anything taken from any non-intelligent animal. As I understand it the philosophy behind veganism is not a matter of health but of concern for the oppression of other species of animal. Let it be known that I am not a vegan and I do not wish to defend their point of view. I do think it is best to understand what it really is before criticizing it.

#96562 02/23/03 01:22 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I think these people feel superior to the Almighty who established the food chain, and
even punished Adam and Eve for eating fruit. Yuk,yuk. Why didn't God make humans
ruminants? He could presumably easily have done so.

I'm reminded of Scots landlady who scolded an actor for going to walk on Sunday. "Ye're na
gaen t' the Kirk this mornin;?" "Why not? Jesus walked on the Sabbath with all his disciples."
"Ah ken, bu' ah dinna think a bit the better o' 'im for it."

#96563 02/23/03 02:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Dr. Bill,

I am a lapsed vegetarian who, for years, did quite well not eating meat, thank you. And soy protein (which includes tofu) is a richer, healthier source of quality protein than meat, and when you realize it takes 16-20 lbs. soy to feed cattle and create one pound of beef, you can see the benefits to world hunger of eating the soy instead of meat. Combining proteins such as legumes and whole grain bread provides a rich protein source. And nuts of all kinds are excellent sources of protein, as well. Most folks I know, including me, who became vegetarians did so out of a healthwise perspective, and (speaking as a fisherman, myself) it had nothing to do with preserving other life (although I do believe there is a harmony of spirit within all living things). Red meat is just not healthy for you...it's as simple as that...I'd challenge anybody to stop eating red meat for a couple of weeks and see if they don't feel better. The fat's affects on the heart and as a carcinogen are well known, and the super-dose of protein, especially on a constant basis, is actually enervating and very taxing on the system. An extremely higher rate of colon cancer has been scientifically evidenced in societies which rely heavily on a red meat diet (and thatincludes pork, the worst, not the other "white" meat...and, as everybody should know, eating bacon with all that fat and salt is like putting a bullet in your heart).
I never felt better in my life than the years I was practicing a natural lifestyle including a vegetarian diet (though I never eliminated dairy, eggs for my wholewheat pancakes and French toast were a must...but I used soy margarine and soy milk, and honey or pure maple syrup since I had also cut out refined sugar for the same health reasons). I just got lazy and first went back to fish (because I caught it and lived by the sea, made sense macrobiotically, and I just love fish and seafood too much to give it up). And then I got back to chicken and turkey. I still avoid red meat...and if I do eat it, once in a while, when someone offers an ethnic dish for the holidays, for instance (like my Mother's stuffed-cabbage) I feel crummy for a couple of days because my system isn't used to it anymore. Now don't get me wrong...when I was growing up I loved a nice sirloin steak (medium rare) and roast pork loin. But I don't miss it, those look like cardboard to me now. So I stopped eating meat for the same common-sense health reason I started eating wholewheat flour instead of refined white flour...it's just better for you. And nothing refined is any good for you, BTW...white flour, refined sugar, etc. So, my good Doctor, I have to say that your rantings here, from all my personal experience, are a bunch of unmitigated BS. Especially that stuff about vegetarians having deformed babies...I've known scores of vegetarian families, and healthier, happier children I've never seen.

#96564 02/23/03 03:00 AM
P
veteran
veteran
P
Oh, Plutarch...I was just making light.
Yes, I know, Wordwind. And it would be best if we all returned to that. :)

#96565 02/23/03 03:06 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WO'N: Diet is a very complex subject. I do not pretend to be well informed about it.
Soy protein can be valuable, but it has limitations that you can learn about.
all I said, and re-iterate, there can be very serious consequences of eating no meat whatsoever.
The cases I referred to involved topnotch physicians.

#96566 02/23/03 04:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Dr. Bill: I studied my diet extensively before I entered into working on changing it at that period in my life. I know from where I speak. And your contention that there can be very serious consquences from eating no meat is just a bunch of hooey, as is your statement that "people who eat no meat are insane and feel superior to the Almighty." And many (but not all) medical doctors don't like for people to do things that keep them healthy or are preventative because they don't make money if people don't get sick...we don't practice "health care" in our society, we practice "sick care". Proper nourishment is a complex process and nobody should embark upon a dietary change of any kind blindly. But with the proper knowledge of protein foods (soy, nuts, legumes) and food-combining there is absolutely no danger in not eating meat, in fact your daily protein requirement can be met quite easily.

#96567 02/23/03 06:46 AM
M
addict
addict
M
Thanks to the OTC availability of almost all essential nutrients and minerals, dietary preference as a causative factor for disease, is no longer worrisome and if at all considered, might be so due to the ignorant or obdurate stances of the patients concerned. Vit B12 deficiency states do have a higher incidence in vegans (and pregnancy with its obvious demand on nutrition can push a borderline deficiency state over the line); however this can easily be overcome by supplementation. The ladies in question seem to have suffered more from poor obstetric advice. Thankfully, the effects are largely reversible.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith