Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Hi everyone,thanks for helping me in these few days!!!

Well..I remember that my English teacher pointed out a misteken from my composition: "Such bill wouldn't be greeted with applause as it's foreseeably devastating to the populace"

my teacher said devastating should be used to describe some physical or body detriment.In other words,this word is specifically for ones' body sufferings.However,i've ever seen this word written in the newspaper which was descirbing public affair like policies and etc

U guys are so kind !! Thanks for always eliminating my burden.I think i'm really a problematic bloke !

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ok, sue, you're asking for help with English, so I'm going to give you a little more than you asked for, if you don't mind. Well..I remember that my English teacher pointed out a misteken from my composition: "Such bill wouldn't be greeted with applause as it's foreseeably devastating to the populace"

my teacher said devastating should be used to describe some physical or body detriment

should be
Well..I remember that my English teacher pointed out a mistake from my composition: "Such a bill wouldn't be greeted with applause as it's foreseeably devastating to the populace"

my teacher said devastating should be used to describe some physical or bodily detriment

Mistake is the noun; mistaken is the adjective (I hope). He made a mistake. He was mistaken. Body is the noun. Bodily is the adverb.

Devastate can be used for many things. 'Her face was devastated by the flying glass shards.' 'She (meaning her emotions) was devastated by the injury.' 'The congregation was devastated by the loss of their beloved pastor'. 'The earthquake devastated the former beauty of the mountain.'

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Basically I would say "devastate" only when "a weapon of mass destruction" or its equivalent
has been used. The "vast" in the word means the destuction is of great magnitude. If used
for smaller things, it may seem an exaggeration.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think, Dr Bill's definition is a little older. Jackie's description of the usage is the way we would commonly do it these days. It's common for people to say, "I was devastated" when they hear very bad news. Harmful is more general. Detrimental suggests something that is likely to have bad effects. Common usage would be something like, "Smoking is detrimental to your health". Destructive would imply that there was some wide spread destruction as a result of the thing that is being described as destructive.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And lots of people shoot sparrows with cannons.Hyperbole is rampant

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
lots of people shoot sparrows with cannons

Not near as many as would be devastated if they saw someone doing it. I'm just saying the way people use the word, not some ivory tower idea of how the word would be used if there were no such thing as imagination.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sue-dee. Here's a big secret we aren't supposed to tell:

Teachers don't know everything and sometimes what they think they know is wrong or not remembered correctly. A good teacher doesn't mind being challenged if you present a strong argument and can back it up (prove it). A bad teacher will give you grief for not kowtowing. You make the call.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith