Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rorris Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
The quote at the end of today's word a day:

In all of us, even in good men, there is a lawless wild-beast nature, which peers out in sleep. -Socrates, philosopher (469?-399 BCE)

made me think of the New York Times article on "parasonmnias" that came out this past Sunday (Feb 2, 2003). You should check it out, fascinating article on sleep disturbances and the inner beast. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/02/magazine/02SLEEP.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"parasonmnias"

parasomnias, that is..

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I searched for "Parasomnias" and was amazed at the number of excellent sites available.
Quite a lot of variation in them. I learned enough to make it worthwhile browsing there

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Posts to articles in the New York Times aren't very helpful to those of us who don't have accounts there. You need to login before you can see the article. That said, it sounds like something very interesting. Care to cut and paste for us?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
those of us who don't have accounts there

Registration is free, painless and non-invasive as I remember. The article is a little long for cut and paste.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I have been reluctant to sign up, expecting annoying Spam. Glad that apparently doesn't happen.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's over ten pages long...a Sunday Times Magazine article. So here's the first page and I'll repaste the url for those who want to sign-up (I've never been spammed by them) and finish it...just a username and password is all.

>The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Deer
By CHIP BROWN

The Strange and the Beautiful

t takes a while to figure out why Dr. Mark Mahowald's grainy sleep-lab videos are so spooky. One immediate reason is the phenomena on the footage -- a class of disorders called ''parasomnias,'' which are defined as unwanted and involuntary behaviors during sleep and are by definition occult, because they appear when most people are unable to witness them. But even the scientists who stay up late by profession never quite get used to what they see. Mahowald, a neurology professor at the University of Minnesota and director of the Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center, likes to say to his students, ''We study the strange and the beautiful.''

To judge from the tapes, that's the understatement of the semester.

Here's a bearded elder man bolting up at 4:30 a.m. He clutches his left leg, waves his right arm and brays at the top of his lungs -- "HO! HO! HO!" -- dementedly jolly cries that also evoke something bestial and wounded. In the morning he remembers nothing of this ''confusional arousal'' triggered by obstructive sleep apnea, a condition in which a constriction of the throat causes you to gasp for breath. Inevitably the man came to be known at the lab as Santa Claus. Mahowald said that when the patient saw himself on tape he was ''horrified'' but finally understood why he'd been kicked out of so many hotels.

Here's a fat, frizzy-haired woman in bed grinding her teeth. The sound is like a door hinge in a haunted house. Her left hand fumbles for a snack; she starts to eat, with no conscious control over her actions.

Here are people in the midst of ''partial'' arousals who spring from bed and rip off the electrodes glued to their heads, removing patches of their scalps as well; people who box the air, flail at imaginary snakes, twitch, jerk, groan, rub their genitals, bloody their hands on nightstands or rock and tremble like bobble-head dolls. People who by day are wry, levelheaded paragons of mental health but who at night find themselves locked in life-and-death struggles with intruders.

Mel Abel, for instance. He's a droll, mild-mannered man who grew up on a farm in Minnesota, owned a tavern for a while and sold real estate. A taped snippet of one of his nights in the sleep lab is part of a parasomnia training video. At 4:24 a.m., Mel begins sleep-talking: ''Quit using the goddamn bowl for banging like that -- quit it now! Get the hell out of here! Go on! That's about four times this morning that I have told you. I don't know if you're that deaf or that dumb, which . . . goddamn continuously. . . . What the hell are you looking for, a walleye?''

For sure, some of these spectacles are hilarious. It's hard not to laugh when a sane Midwesterner who doesn't have a cat sits on the edge of his bed asleep, saying, ''Here, kitty, kitty, kitty.'' But it's not so funny if you are one of the automatons eating raw bacon and cigarettes. Some parasomnia cases have the parameters of Greek tragedy. Mel Abel's eyes brim with tears when he tells how criminally close he came to harming his wife, Harriet. He was struggling with a deer whose neck he was trying to snap when he discovered he was actually home in bed with his hands on Harriet's head and chin. Harriet woke him up, hollering, ''Mel, what in the world are you trying to do?''

These after-hours manifestations of the strange and beautiful undermine all our noonday notions of who we are and what we can command. Suddenly it's easy to understand what spawned the lore of demons and succubi, those ''old hags'' from whom the word nightmare is derived, and the countless other psychoreligious confabulations dreamed up over the centuries since Plato declared that ''in all of us, even good men, there is a lawless wild-beast nature which peers out in sleep.''

Our ideas about ourselves are constantly evolving, but the pace of the revisions lately has been accelerated by phenomenal advances in both neuroscience and sleep medicine, which is one of the youngest sciences. ''We are at the dawn of the golden age of sleep research,'' says David Dinges, chief of the division of sleep and chronobiology in the department of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania. ''The field is moving so fast scientifically that few researchers can even take the time to write a book.'' <

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/02/magazine/02SLEEP.html

Fascinating article, rorris! Thanks! And welcome aboard!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hmmm...Chip brown, the article author, cites Plato for the quote...Anu cites Socrates...can't both be right, as credible as they are. Which is it?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[blink]crossthread alert[/blink]

they're both right; the quote is from one of Socrates' dialogues in Plato's Republic: http://www.scholars.nus.edu.sg/resources/republic/9.1.html

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Seems to me that Socrates left nothing in writing. That would mean it was Plato quoting
Socrates.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I just signed up and it was relatively painless. I too was wary of spam, plus I figured it would cost some $$$. Thanks for the link!

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Did anyone else notice the NY Times articles mentions "a congress of teddy bears"?

Bingley

Bingley
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 770 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith