Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
addict
addict
M
It was one of TEd's, umm, puns.

Was I being industrious in my defence of the beleaguered Swastika?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
industrious in my defense

Attually® I was quite appreciative of your information regarding the swastika.

veteran
veteran

I have an off color story of a former, Persian friend of mine. He said "We used to be the same color as you, even fairer even and then those ******* ARABS came and ****** all our ******* WOMEN and NOW look at me (pointing at his arm) ... JUST *LOOK* AT ME!"

He was kinduva weird guy, though.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie, there's an emoticon on the Japanese site that uses swastikas, and the webmaster explains the symbol is of benign, celebratory connotation there. Take a look.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
,umm,? ,umm,? I don't recognize it, but if you umm a few bars.

There's something wrong with your keyboard, Fal. Every time you type a y a comma comes out at the other end.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
James Churchward speaks of the swastika type symbol formed by four hornlike shapes (Tablet 1231) in terms of the Origin of Forces, which, he states, has always been a mooted question among scientists. A writer of the earth's First Great Civilization tells us about their origin, and the manner and direction of their workings. James Churchward writes,"Especially it shows us the curvatures apparent throughout the Universe, which are causing so much controversy among scientists today." (the book was published in 1960)

"How long ago this was written," James Churchward states, "I cannot say: but certainly more than 12,000 years ago."

illustration Tablet 1231: http://www.greatdreams.com/mu.gif

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Swastika Chinese called it, "WAN" Zi, Japanese named it "MAN" Ji, Tibetan read it as "GYUNG-DRUNG" or GEG-GSANG. The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit means, "conducive to well- being". S-vasti in Sanskrit is "It's well"

Swastika is a symbol of prosperity and good fortune and is widely dispersed in both the ancient and modern world. It originally represented the revolving sun, fire, or life. The swastika was widely utilized in ancient Mesopotamian coinage as well as appearing in early Christian and Byzantium art, where it was known as the gammadion cross. The swastika also appeared in South and Central America, widely used in Mayan art during that time period.

Swastika is an equilateral cross with arms bent at right angles, all in the same direction, usually the right, or clockwise. In North America, the swastika was a symbol used by the Navajos. The swastika still continues today to be an extensively used sign in Buddhism, Jainism and Hinduism.

In Buddhism, a Swastika represents resignation. Usually found in the images of Buddha on His chest, palms, soles of feet. In Jainism, it delineates their seventh saint, and the four arms are also used to remind the worshiper of the four possible places of rebirth; the animal or plant world, in Hell, on Earth, or in the spirit world. To Hindus, the swastika with the arms bent to the left is called the sathio or sauvastika, which symbolizes night, magic, purity, and the destructive goddess Kali.

In both Hinduism and Jainism, the Swastika or sathio is used to mark the opening pages or their account books, thresholds, doors, and offerings. The swastika was a symbol for the Aryan people, a name which, in Sanskrit means "noble". The Aryans were a group of people who settled in Iran and Northern India. They believed themselves to be a pure race, superior to the other surrounding cultures.

Historical Use of the Swastika
Was Atlantis the birthplace of the Swastika? Or The fabled motherland called Mu? Found on the genital shields of aboriginal Brazilian women. Greek priestesses branded Swastikas on their arms. Goddess figures dug up at ancient Troy by Dr. Schliemann have Swastikas on the vulva. Romans took the Swastika with them on their march across Europe. Most antiquarians agree that Egyptians had no Swastika except those taken there by Coptic Christians.

As An Eastern Cultural Symbol
A magical sign tattooed on women to ensure fertility. Gold weights from West Africa. A favorite ornament in China and Japan. Ninja throwing stars. Tattooed on monks in Tibet. The Dalai Lama's throne is always decorated with four Swastikas. In India people mark their cows, fields, homes, shrines with the Swastika, a sign of good luck and fertility. When the last czar of Russia was imprisoned with his family in 1917, the Romanoff girls embroidered lucky swastikas on fabric before their deaths by the Bolsheviks.

As a Mystical Symbol
Hindu uses. Sacred Fire. Ganesha. Every holy spot is marked with a Swastika. Sacred Heart of Buddha. Buddha's footprints marked with Swastikas. The Jains, who believe in non-violence, make the sign of the Swastika as often as Catholics make the sign of the cross. In Bali, Shiva's lingam (penis) is a Swastika. Christian symbol from the catacombs. Gnostic graffiti includes Swastikas and Stars of David side by side. Occult Swastikas include Theosophists, Rosicrucians, Masons, Golden Dawn, Transcendental Meditation, Pythagorus, Madame Blavatsky, Krishnamurti, Rudolf Steiner, William Butler Yeats. Aliester Crowley claimed Hitler stole the Swastika from him.

As An Archetypal Symbol

The Swavastika or backwards Swastika. Types of Swastikas. Various names for the Swastika-- Hakenkreuz, Gammadion, Fylfot, Tetraskelion, Meander. Amulets, talismans and hex signs.

[boldface mine...ancient, indeed!]

Complete page here, "Swastika: The Ancient Symbol":

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~sidneys/Swastika.htm

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In Singapore there is not only the Red Cross, but the Red Crescent for Muslims, and the Red Swastika for Chinese medicine (acupuncture and herbal treatments mainly).

Bingley

Bingley
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
The first definition you listed is the only one I use. I tend to use it a lot in describing people from the subcontinent - Aryans are noticeably different from Dravidians.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
When I lived briefly in Japan I attended a very few karate classes. The members of that particular dojo wore a swastika patch on their robes, and at first I was horrified. They explained that it was a symbol that predated the Nazis, but it continued to kind of freak me out a little.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith