Carpal Tunnel
Requiring a poet to get a license?...

...or should I say...

..."choiring to the preacher"?

This is wa-ay *too much fun

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
rub a dub-dub?
?!? Better watch it, you'll get your hand slapped!
=========================================================

Revealing my ignorance again--
tall as the town clock tower, Samson-syrup-gold-maned, whacking thighed and piping hot, thunderbolt-bass'd and barnacle-breasted flailing up the cockles with his eyes like blowlamps and scooping low over her lonely loving hotwaterbottled body ...<
You have got to be kidding me. I'm sorry, I know he's famous and revered and all--I've even read things of his that I like--but did this book by any chance start with, "It was a dark and stormy night..."? Surely he wasn't serious, but was writing this OTT to demonstrate ... something?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Under Milkwood

Jackie, Under Milkwood, a verse-play, was written by Dylan Thomas as "a play for voices," and it's just beautiful in performance...both poignant and haunting...like a luscious symphony of language and character...a theatrical experience not to be missed. Here's a site with some background and Thomas links, and the first part of the text so you can see how it flows in context:

http://oedipa.tripod.com/thomas.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, I said I was showing my ignorance. Okay, it's "a play for voices"--thank you. I can't help but have a sneaking suspicion that I would be bored to the screaming point, but. Maybe if I were in the right frame of mind... I reckon the actors would have to have mellifluous voices?

#93270 01/27/03 12:39 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I vote for hubbub.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
'Fraid I need an explanation of your subject, please, Sweetie. Send Private if you like.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
bored to the screaming point ... the right frame of mind

If you're looking for plot/character development forget it. Imagine you're going to a music concert. You wouldn't leave a concert saying things like, "I really like the way the composer resolved that conflict between the oboes and the violas," or "The french horns faced some very serious issues and, I think, came out much the better for it."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You wouldn't leave a concert saying things like, "I really like the way the composer resolved that conflict between the oboes and the violas,"
Akshurly, I might! Not the other one, though. Yes, I definitely would have to be in the right frame of mind; I have never heard of this art form before. But I imagine that with the right "mood" lighting, and golden-voiced performers, it could be quite captivating.

#93274 01/27/03 04:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A friend sent me a review of Under Milkwood: "What's so funny about a town full of sociopaths? Dylan Thomas knew the answer: that life is better lived with a dark passion than a squeaky-clean complaisance; that with all their flaws, the denizens of Llareggub are divine creations, deserving of forgiveness and acceptance, laughter and love. Thomas' characters make us laugh, even as they engage in a myriad of sins more deadly than those normally committed by those of us in the outside world. Why do we laugh? Because, in spite of their sins, these outlandish characters are not so very different from you and me." (I also got clued in as to the original eman.)

This reminded me of a bit I heard on TV yesterday: author Adam Davies was talking about his book, "The Frog King". (I see that Amazon lists it as "The Frog King: A Love Story".) He was saying that in this book, he wanted to explore whether someone who has many flaws and isn't necessarily likeable could in the end be found to be worthy of love (note--this is a severe shortening of all that he had to say). He said he discovered his favorite moment in all of literature when he was in the 9th grade (approx. age 14) and it is still his favorite: when Odysseus gets back home and no one knows him after so long a time, until his childhood nurse recognizes him by an old scar on his leg. Mr. Davies said that, "We are known by the scars life gives us", and I thought that was kind of profound.

It sounds like both this play and this book more or less celebrate the un-"pretty" (figurative sense, not literal), not-very-nice people.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 747 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith