#92320 01/16/03 03:38 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
http://www.iht.com/articles/83553.html

For article on how the old schoolroom blackboard is changing...now they're computerized!!!! There go our taxes again!

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I've actually seen these in use - they are quite good if you want an instant record of what's been written - like in a "brainstorm" session, for instance. But I'm not sure that I see any great advantage in these gimmicks for teaching, as a rule. I use flip-charts a lot, and white-boards, rather than blackboards, but.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Our school completely changed to white boards a few years ago, and have recently installed three or four of these computerised 'smart boards'. They're quite good in some ways, like it can be used like a large TV screen for films and stuff, but mostly, the teachers don't get round to using them as they either can't, or don't have time to make the presentations and they tend to be a bit awkward to write on (bits keep getting deleted for some reason).

B
old hand
old hand
B
> bits keep getting deleted for some reason.

Right! I'm not familiar with those new boards but I'm a left-hander and when I have to sign for a package with one of those touch screens those UPS blokes have, I always somehow end up deleting what I've just written. Isn't progress great? And sarcastic cynical people? And posts that drag on? How long can I keep this up?

J
old hand
old hand
J
In the school district I worked in (and went to school in) there were I think 3 of those 3M boards stored in the tech department. Why they purchased them I have no idea because they were almost never used. I think they were intended for central office meetings more than classrooms though. All of the classrooms have dry-erase marker boards. When they built a new middle school a couple years ago, all of the rooms were equipped with a TV hooked up to a computer so the teacher could show PowerPoint presentations and websites. I think my little brother said that they've used them to show student-made PP assignments too.

In college the white boards are in all the classrooms, and most have projectors hooked up to a computer too. In my architecture seminars now the lectures are prepared by loading the images onto a website set up for the class. Each image is on a different page and during the lecture, they just click through them. It much easier for them to scan an image from a book and show it digitally than to waste time and resources making a slide out of it. The dry erase board is only used to show equations and calculations in my structures class and when my arch history prof decides she needs to draw 8 little dots to demonstrate the octostyle qualities of the Parthenon.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I love my white board! no more dried out hands and chalk dust on everything. my whiteboard has staff lines already printed on it which is very handy.
this is the thing I would like to have:

http://www.mimio.com/index.shtml

would make it so easy to save all the notes(!) I write...

formerly known as etaoin...
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I only found out the other day that we've got one of these contraptions at work. I was doing some English language teaching and one of the lawyers asked me to print out what was on the whiteboard, and while I looked at him nonplussed, he walked over pressed the appropriate button and it did just that.

Bingley

Bingley
B
old hand
old hand
B
It much easier for them to scan an image from a book and show it digitally than to waste time and resources making a slide out of it.

Oh yeah? I bet I can make an overhead "slide" on the photocopier faster than your average professor can successfully scan in a figure from a book.

#92328 01/17/03 01:22 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
For $99 US you ca buy a digital camera and take a picture of your board.

TEd
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 742 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith