About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#91912 01/15/03 01:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I didn't necessarily mean that hard Gs are turning into soft Gs all the time. Just that things start off one way and get perverted, sometimes almost immediately. An example of that might be the phrase "no love lost between them." I am told, but have never verified, that the original context of the phrase told of a love so pure and directed that none was lost on the way from one lover to the other. It is now universally used to mean that the two people involved have no love at all for each other.

#91913 01/15/03 05:02 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
In reply to:

I didn't necessarily mean that hard Gs are turning into soft Gs all the time. Just that things start off one
way and get perverted, sometimes almost immediately.

That's what I took your comment to mean, Faldage. I wasn't hoping for more examples of gees changing their hardness or softness - more of other examples of pronunciations in general changing, owing to a mispronunciation becoming current. I just cain't think of any examples myself at the moment.

Sorta like Cholmondely being pronounced "Chumly" - only not like that, since I don't know if that was a mispronunciation (how could it be? but it's a confusing name!) in the first place. Only other thing that springs to mind is "glacier," which Brits and Antipodeans pronounce with a short "a" and North Americans pronounce with a long "a."

But not really like that, either....

Ah, sod. I know what I mean and Faldage knows what I mean. I just cain't think of an example. Wish I could....

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
...does the name "Flat Foot Floogee" ring any bells? ;-)

no

For a bell-ringer take a look at the thread that began with
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=39744
from September 2001

#91915 01/15/03 09:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is that Carpal Tunnel or Counter Tenor (or both, or neither)?

Cross-Thread

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re: wofa's cited thread: here's something from it that definitely sounds odd, out of context: You're right, of course, about hard geese and soft Jeep. And--augh, I HATE threaded mode! I was looking for one post in particular, and in threaded you just have to click all over the place at random... How can you threadnodists stand it?

Oops--belated welcome, Lou!

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I agree; personally, I find anything other than flat a bit of a sew-and-sew, but don't let it needle you, jackie!
At least the threadnodists don't have it all stitched up.
(No doubt others will attempt to embroider this theme.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How can you threadnodists stand it?

Umm ... if you don't like it the way it is, you click on the approriate icon up at the top of the page to make it go the other way, duh.

[wild-eyed rant]So wofaholic was remiss in pointing us to a thread in threaded mode. So take him out and shoot him. If the seat is up and you want it down you put it down; you don't complain about your inability to understand why someone else would make a choice that isn't the same as the choice you'd make.[/rant]

[explicatory note]When pointing to a whole thread it is best to do it in flat mode; when pointing to an individual post it is best to do it in threaded mode. This is done by choosing between flat and threaded in the link to the thread or post, respectively, thusly:

http://wordsmith.org/board/ showXXXX.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=nnnnn

where XXXX is the string, either flat or threaded depending on which way you want to go.

If you are pointing to an individual post and you do it in flat mode you get the whole thread and it is difficult to determine which post was being referred to. If you are pointing to the whole thread you might as well show the whole thread and not just some (possibly) random post within that thread.[/note]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I did not intend to imply that wofa was remiss in any way; for one thing, he can post things in any format he chooses; for another, that's the way they come up, in a Search. I did change it, after the first non-productive look-up. I was merely expressing my dislike of threaded mode, because to me it is so time-consuming and frustrating. And, I agree: if I want people to see a particular post, I leave it in threaded mode when I post the ref. In this particular referenced thread, I myself chose to try and find a particular post, and was frustrated because I could not pick it out readily. Am I starting to be clear, yet?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm sorry, Jackie. I just have to spout off every once in a while. The main advantage to threaded mode, to me, seems to be that it is easier to see who is responding to what. The main advantage to flat mode is that it is faster. How important either of these advantages are to you will determine which way you should go.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Aha! I've learned something today. Thanks for the input. What I did was cut-and-paste the link from my monitor, inadvertently foisting whatever was there upon the unsuspecting multitudes. Now I see I can play around with it if I want to.

Sorry for disrupting those who like it the other way. I prefer Flat myself, and grump a little, quietly and briefly, when a search returns its findings in this (threaded) format. Though after a few moments of consideration, I'm not sure any link to one of our posts can ever be presented in a format that doesn't disgruntle some of us one way or the other...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 845 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith