Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#91687 01/13/03 05:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Is it used often?

In the anecdotal evidence department, note:
http://www.nature.com/nsu/020402/020402-5.html

This was in the first ten hits googling smoking-gun.

#91688 01/13/03 05:22 PM
B
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
B
If I may, however, I'd like to post a reminder that in the past, political opinions and comments on this board have led to some ugliness; and I hope that we can avoid that happening again. Thanks, everybody.

Sorry everyone, I guess I should have thought of that before I posted it.

#91689 01/13/03 05:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
should have thought of that
That's all right, Honey; I wasn't fussing, just reminding. As tension rises, nerves fray quicker; and it is much easier to not let something ugly start than it is to try and clean up afterwards. :-)

#91690 01/13/03 06:18 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Like all here I understand that most words and sayings originate in spoken inventions or verbal mistakes and the few true examples of written origins that can be fixed in time are very likely serendip. Besides it doesn't matter a hoot who said it first except in as much as it helps give insight into the evolution of language. But damn, it is fun.

Ask any eight-year-old kid who grew up in the last mid-century who worshiped Hop-along-Cassidy, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Lash Larue, Tom Mix, Red Ryder, Tom Steele, and the Durango Kid, about a "Smoking Gun". A tight-cut still of a "smoking gun" was a pat art scene in one-out-of-three cowboy movies and was known to every scamp who owned a cap gun. It worked like this... Roy, Ted, Tom, or Lash, would walk into an abandoned cabin in search of Bart, Gridley, Max, or the Simmons Gang. Finding it empty he would turn to leave but then, out of the corner of his eye, he would see a smoking gun on a nearby table. He would then spin around and "BAM" a gunman fell from the loft. "BAM he plugged one hiding behind the curtains. "BAM" he shot another who had walked in from the kitchen. Outside the cabin we would hear the sound of hoofbeats as the rest of the gang got away.

Then...

Twenty years later some priss butt reporter drew upon this tradition to dramatize some flimsy evidence in order to convict "Tricky Dick" Nixon and the term has been misused ever since.

#91691 01/27/03 02:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I bring this to the top to inform those who enjoy William Safire and don't see the Sunday New York Times every week that he addresses this very expression in this week's column (as with most major newspapers, registration required, no intimate info demanded ):

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/26/magazine/26ONLANGUAGE.html

#91692 01/27/03 04:50 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Couldn't get in. I have been registered user for years but it wouldn't accept password login and kept popping up the registration screen. Tried to re-register and the registration program popped up again. I give up.
Can you cut and paste it?

#91693 01/30/03 12:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(Here you are, Madam Wow [and anyone else interested]. I hope you don't mind that I didn't smarten up the quotes or rescue italics.)

January 26, 2003

Smoking Gun

By WILLIAM SAFIRE

"Blix: 'No Smoking Guns' in Iraq,'" headlined The Philadelphia Inquirer (or the "Fluffya Inkwire," as the locals say). "No 'Smoking Guns' So Far'' was The Washington Post's head. ''U.N. Inspectors Criticize Iraqis Over Arms List'' was The New York Times's more objective headline, with the hot phrase in the subhead: ''But search teams find no 'smoking gun.'''

The phrase earned such display because it was used by Hans Blix, chief inspector for biological and chemical arms, in his preliminary report to the United Nations Security Council two weeks ago. ''Evidently, if we had found any 'smoking gun,''' he wrote, ''we would have reported it to the Council. .. . The absence of smoking guns . . . is no guarantee that prohibited stocks or activities could not exist at other sites, whether aboveground, underground or in mobile units.'' With the issuance of his interim report, scheduled tomorrow, world headline writers will return to the phrase that would trigger overwhelming support for nonmetaphoric guns to start smoking.

When did that phrase first become the favorite figure of speech meaning ''incontrovertible incrimination''? The answer is elementary, Watson. In an 1893 Sherlock Holmes story, ''The Gloria Scott,'' Arthur Conan Doyle wrote of a grisly murder by a sham chaplain aboard a prison ship: ''We rushed into the captain's cabin . . . there he lay with his brains smeared over the chart of the Atlantic . . . while the chaplain stood with a smoking pistol in his hand at his elbow.'' A good copy editor would have fixed Doyle's awkward ''in his hand at his elbow,'' and Sir Arthur chose pistol rather than gun, but that Holmes citation seems to be the start of the cliche that grips us today.

It was made famous during the Golden Age of Political Coinage. The Watergate era coined or popularized Saturday night massacre, stonewalling, cover-up, dirty tricks, straight arrow, expletive deleted, third-rate burglary, plumbers, Deep Throat, Big Enchilada, enemies list and my personal favorite, twisting slowly in the wind. That was when Doyle's smoking pistol, which had changed in occasional usage over 80 years to smoking gun, blazed its way into dictionaries.

It first appeared in The New York Times on July 14, 1974, in an article by Roger Wilkins: ''The big question asked over the last few weeks in and around the House Judiciary Committee's hearing room by committee members who were uncertain about how they felt about impeachment was 'Where's the smoking gun?''' The question was rooted in a Nixon defense strategy, to narrow the grounds for impeachment to a provable crime. On July 31, Representative Jack Brooks of Texas told the impeachment panel that he thought Nixon was guilty of income-tax evasion: ''Millions of Americans will view this evidence as a so-called smoking gun.'' With insufficient proof, that charge did not stick.

On Aug. 5, the committee released a transcript of a recording of the meeting held two years earlier, on June 23, 1972, in which the White House chief of staff, H.R. Haldeman, asked President Nixon, ''You think the thing to do is to get them, the F.B.I., to stop?'' and Nixon replied, ''Right, fine.'' Representative Barber Conable of New York promptly said that ''looked like a smoking gun,'' and the recording became known as ''the smoking-gun tape.''

Today, in applying the phrase to the inspection of Iraq for evidence of making weapons of mass destruction, those opposing an attack on Saddam Hussein's regime have adopted the defense strategy of Nixon's lawyers: to demand incontrovertible physical evidence, which journalists and United Nations officials agree to call the smoking gun. Proponents argue that circumstantial evidence points to a weapons buildup, and that United Nations Resolution 1441 places the burden of proof of disarmament on Iraq, which has not yet been forthcoming about producing evidence of a nonsmoking gun.

The Security Council, then, will soon be seized with the question made famous by restaurant hostesses: ''smoking or non?''

--Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

#91694 02/04/03 10:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A reporter discussing Saddam hussein's first interview in 12 years on British Tv tonight said, "But there is no smoking quote."

Smoking quote?

Keeping this linguistic, please, I kind of like smoking quote as pointing to a quote of obvious self-incrimination (if that's the proper way to define it). And the assonance does give a pleasing ring to it. Has anyone ever heard smoking quote before?

#91695 02/05/03 01:38 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
smoking quote

would that be, like, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"?

[innocent wide-eyed-e]

#91696 02/05/03 12:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Has anyone ever heard smoking quote before?

Nope. But I think it's an excellent bon mot on an already-tired catch-phrase!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 653 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith