About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
resist...temptation

If you're tempted by that, perhaps you need to examine some issues.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you're tempted by that, perhaps you need to examine some issues.

Yes, but, unfortunately, the Issue Examiner is away on holiday.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
away on holiday

I guess you're on your own, then. Good luck.

M
old hand
old hand
M
Gee Whiz gang, I hate the term "issues" it somehow implies a false focus on things that are ever-so-rightly confined and virtuous and therefore important, but all it really says is that "my thought are "in" and therefore current". Good Lord, don't people anymore think? ???

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Next to myself, I like cotton best. But not in thread. All my old shirts used to lose buttons
sust because mildew got into the cotton thread. Synthetic thread lasts. Badword cotton thread.

#91151 01/08/03 01:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ohmigawd, I wish I'd found this thread (ahem) earlier. You people crack me up! First the obvious answer [donning GQ hat] is put in white, then all of you go off on the tangent of loose cannons, which wasn't even a PART of the original quiz. Stales, Honey--Ah hate to bring up this possibility, but Ah do believe the corset story smacks more of imagination than fact.
Smooth bore/Tony Blair: snort!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bill:

I'd not heard that before about the thread mildewing, and it doesn't seem likely that it's mildew.

Cotton thread should always be used with cotton cloth because synthetic thread cuts cotton. Peggy will not use anything except cotton fabric to make quilts with, and she always always always uses cotton thread with it. Cotton thread admittedly isn't as strong, but your quilts don't break apart on top of you either.

TEd

For WarpWondering:

Egyptian cotton is softer, and has much longer fibers than does cotton grown here in the US. This makes it possible to make thinner thread, which means you can put more threads to the inch. And the more threads to the inch the better quality and the better feel to the fabric.

TEd
#91153 01/08/03 01:20 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

#91154 01/08/03 02:13 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear TEd: I didn't grow any fungi or whatever to prove it, but I have had every thread holding a
shirt button break as though it had been soaked in strong chemical. Mildew seems to be the only
explanation. It is a a bit tricky sewing with nylon or other synthetic thread. I can understand a
quilter not wanting to bother with it. My wife wouldn't. She also would use a machine to quit, until
she got very painful repetitive motion injury, and could no sew by hand any longer. I despse quilts
because they are so easily damaged, particulary by washing. They may be an art form, but their real
reason for existing was high cost of fabric a hundred years ago meant old garments were worth
salvaging, even small pieces. Quilts today are a stupid anachronism.
And everybody seems to have overlooked fact I said I hate synthethics in contact with me. But
shirts with fabric made with synthetic core wrapped with cotton make good sense. And if I replace
a button, I do it with nylon or other synthetic thread. Even though the shirt will wear out before
the button breaks off again. End of rant.

#91155 01/08/03 03:16 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quilts today are a stupid anachronism
Well, I suppose blankets and bedspreads do keep us as physically warm as quilts do. I do happen to think most quilts are pretty, but to me they are more than something pretty, or something to keep us warm. To me, they serve as a tangible reminder of how things used to be, and how lucky I am not to have to scrimp and save every scrap. I think that if a person makes a quilt, particularly as a gift, that it is a labor of love; and it may be a display of skill, as well, though to me that's secondary.
In the book "Christy" by Catherine Marshall, there is a scene where Christy is at the home of a destitute mountain woman, and notices the quilt with its unusual pattern. The woman says that she has looked out the cabin's one window and memorized how the moon and stars look through it at different times, and transferred those patterns onto the quilt. This woman had combined creativity with necessity, to my way of thinking.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith