Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
You've come a long way, Juanita!

It's just that the meaning here escapes my ken.

#90998 01/09/03 02:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Those of us who have been here for awhile should know that public ridicule of a thread found uninteresting or boring is not the AWAD way.

- and -

And Musick will teach you to be tough-skinned. Listen to Musick. Musick is very tough-skinned.

I account for both of these on 'humankinds' seeming refusal to perceive what was actually® *said. If politics were more focused on meaning something to humankind collectively and less on borders and how to seperate the *winners from the loosers (Hi, Juan) there would be no need for being PC... but this isn't what *we teach kids so we all live with the consequences.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
... the meaning here escapes my ken.

Time to put more words on the barbie.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Gee whiz, gwz--I'm trying to figure out whether there's something you're trying to get across in your post above. I'm wondering whether you think, or would have us think, that Juan is homosexual, since your subject title is a take-off on an ad for cigarettes marketed to women. And if that is so, I am really wondering what you might be trying to accomplish?
Completely apart from the personal reference, your post could be interpreted as denigrating to gays, and besides the fact that I personally don't like that, this is not the place for it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If gwz thinks that someone's being gay makes that person a potential target for ridicule then that is gwz's problem. That it may have been intended as an insult need not mean that it be taken as one. It becomes either a statement of fact or a simple mistake. If the latter, we can merely consider it an incomplete pass.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Oh, I took gwz's comment a completely different way.

Juanita = Johnny, as In 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home"; I don't think it is referencing our Juan. And I thought the gist of his post was similar to that which many of you have taken in the pc thread about the contemporary meaning of many well used words changing dramatically to now primarily mean something entirely different. *I* took the post to be anti-pc, that gwz thought it silly that some would no longer be comfortable with the song as new innuendo has arisen both relating to gender (women, as well as men now in the military) and sexual orientation.

Until proven otherwise, I'm not sure offense was intended.

I certainly could be wrong, but that's my initial reaction.

mm

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
mm, you may be right--there's some unhappy history behind our paranoia(s).

M
old hand
old hand
M
HEY GWZ, WHAT DID YOU MEAN WHEN YOU CHANGED JOHNNY TO JUANITA?

THANKS,
MILO

#91005 01/09/03 05:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sometimes he has the silly notion that the best way to get an answer is to ask a plain question rather than endlessly agonizing over possible interpretations as we normal people do. We try to be sure that he has a good supply of his medications. If he stays on them, he's harmless, mostly.

G
gwz Offline
stranger
stranger
G
>You've come along way, Juanita!

Oh,my. I hope that I was not that inaccurate in my thinking that "Juanita" was close to being a feminine equivalent to Johnny.
"Janey" or "Jenny" simply slipped right past me yesterday. There must be some Sheenas in the Armed Forces, too, I'd imagine, by now. I don't see many women sailors, but I do run into a few soldiers and Air Force personnel. I've seen "Juanita"
on nameplates pinned to the chests of more than a couple of them. Anyway, it's likely that a few members of the Armed Forces named Juanita will be embarking on their "great adventure" someday soon. I heard a WW2 general use that term in the March Of Time series. This "PC Gone Mad" thread got me wondering, some of it focused somewhat on pieces of music: sing-along songs, hymns, etc. I really wonder how Pete Seeger approached his decision to participate in making some song lyrics politically correct for our times. I thought about that old patriotic ditty I mentioned. Then I thought about that Ol' Woody Guthrie
and all that righteous folk singing that went on since his time. I tried to imagine a band of teenage activist Chippewas singing "This Land Is My Land." My subjectivity yesterday was absolutely uninvolved with the one called WO'N.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,360
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 615 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,556
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith