Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#90347 12/27/02 07:15 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I got this by e-mail today; yes, from another Kentuckian!

THINGS I`VE LEARNED ABOUT KENTUCKY

> POSSUMS SLEEP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WITH THEIR FEET IN THE AIR.
> THERE ARE 5,000 TYPES OF SNAKES AND 4998 LIVE IN KENTUCKY.
> THERE ARE 10,000 TYPES OF SPIDERS. ALL 10,000 LIVE IN KENTUCKY, PLUS A COUPLE NO ONE'S SEEN BEFORE.
> SQUIRRELS WILL EAT ANYTHING.
> UNKNOWN CRITTERS LOVE TO DIG HOLES UNDER TOMATO PLANTS.
> RACCOONS WILL TEST YOUR CROP OF MELONS AND LET YOU KNOW WHEN THEY'RE RIPE.
> IF IT GROWS, IT STICKS; IF IT CRAWLS,IT BITES.
> A TRACTOR IS NOT AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE. THEY DO GET STUCK.
> ONCED AND TWICED ARE WORDS.
> IT IS NOT A SHOPPING CART BUT A BUGGY.
> FIRE ANTS CONSIDER YOUR FLESH AS A PICNIC.
> PEOPLE ACTUALLY GROW AND EAT OKRA.
> FIXINTO IS ONE WORD. (Note to furriners {anybody not from Kentucky}: that's "fixin' to", not "fix into".)
> THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS "LUNCH". THERE'S ONLY DINNER AND SUPPER.
> TEA IS APPROPRIATE FOR ALL MEALS AND YOU START DRINKING IT WHEN YOU`RE 2.
> BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS MEANS I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU.
> 'JEET?' IS ACTUALLY A PHRASE MEANING, "DID YOU EAT?"
> YOU DON'T HAVE TO WEAR A WATCH BECAUSE IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT TIME IT IS.
> YOU WORK UNTIL YOU`RE DONE OR IT`S TOO DARK TO SEE.
>
>
> YOU KNOW YOU`RE FROM KENTUCKY IF :
> YOU MEASURE THE DISTANCE IN MINUTES.
> YOU`VE EVER HAD TO SWITCH FROM HEAT TO A/C IN THE SAME DAY.
> STORES DON'T HAVE BAGS: THEY HAVE SACKS.
> YOU SEE A CAR RUNNING IN THE PARKING LOT AT THE STORE WITH NO ONE IN IT, NO MATTER WHAT TIME OF THE YEAR.
> YOU USE "FIX" AS A VERB. EXAMPLE: I AM FIXING TO GO TO THE STORE.
> ALL THE FESTIVALS ACROSS THE STATE ARE NAMED AFTER A FRUIT, VEGETABLE, GRAIN, INSECT OR AN ANIMAL.
> YOU INSTALL SECURITY LIGHTS ON YOUR HOUSE AND GARAGE AND LEAVE BOTH UNLOCKED.
> YOU CARRY JUMPER CABLES IN YOUR CAR ....FOR YOUR OWN CAR.
> YOU KNOW WHAT "COW TIPPING" IS.
> YOU ONLY OWN FOUR SPICES: SALT ,PEPPER. CHILI POWDER AND CATSUP.
> THE LOCAL PAPERS COVER NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL NEWS ON ONE PAGE BUT REQUIRE 6 PAGES FOR LOCAL GOSSIP AND SPORTS.
> YOU THINK THE FIRST DAY OF DEER SEASON IS A NATIONAL HOLIDAY.
> YOU FIND 100 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT "A LITTLE WARM".
> YOU KNOW ALL FOUR SEASONS: ALMOST SUMMER, SUMMER, STILL SUMMER, AND CHRISTMAS.
> YOU KNOW WHETHER ANOTHER KENTUCKIAN IS FROM EAST, WEST,OR MIDDLE KENTUCKY AS SOON AS THEY OPEN THEIR MOUTH.
>GOING TO WALMART IS A FAVORITE PASTIME KNOWN AS "GOIN' WALMARTIN" OR "OFF TO WALLY WORLD".
> YOU DESCRIBE THE FIRST COLD SNAP {BELOW 70 DEGREES} AS GOOD CHILI WEATHER.
> A CARBONATED SOFT DRINK ISN`T A SODA, COLA, OR POP.... IT`S A COKE, REGARDLESS OF BRAND OR FLAVOR. EXAMPLE "WHAT KINNA COKE YOU WANT?"
> FRIED FISH IS THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
> YOU UNDERSTAND THESE JOKES AND FORWARD THEM TO YOUR FRIENDS FROM KENTUCKY.

#90348 12/27/02 07:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> SQUIRRELS WILL EAT ANYTHING.

KENTUCKIANS WILL EAT [ALMOST] ANYTHING...including FRIED SQUIRREL BRAINS...which are considered a DELICACY to many folks in the Bluegrass State! (this is not a joke, folks...in fact, there was a warning issued a few years back that there may be a health risk due to a certain bacterium in squirrel brains, or sumptin', and folks were advised not to eat as many or not at all...but a lot of folks in Kentucky refused to give 'em up). Really. Honest. Dead serious here.

#90349 12/27/02 11:01 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I think that squirrel brains sound yuckier than Philadelphia fried scrapple, which I hated.
"

A New Dish at PUDS

The only thing more plentiful at Princeton than squirrels
are squirrel jokes, so we apologize for this one. But the
Associated Press reports from Kentucky that a “backwoods
Southern delicacy” has turned up as a health hazard. Eating
squirrel brains, something most of us on this newspaper like to
do, carries for the gourmand the risk of contracting mad cow
disease. Since the rodents aren’t carnivorous, scientists are
not certain whether they really can be infected with the
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, and no brains have been examined
yet. But for now, advises Dr. Joseph Berger, “it is perhaps
best to avoid squirrel brains and probably the brains of any
other animal.”

#90350 12/29/02 01:05 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
My parents would occasionally scramble eggs with pork brains. The idea, let alone the smell, made me sick.

#90351 12/29/02 09:22 PM
veteran
veteran

I've eaten many squirrels, but never any squirrel brains.

k

#90352 12/30/02 03:57 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
As A Kentuckian I cannot resist commenting on the above.

ONCED AND TWICED ARE WORDS I hear these spoken at times, often in a sentence such as "She nearly drownded, not onced but twiced!"
Wally World is indeed a common slang term for that retail giant with down-home pretensions.
YOU FIND 100 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT "A LITTLE WARM". The use of "warm" to describe unpleasantly hot weather must have started out as a wry joke which has now devolved into a sort of mirthless humor.
YOU DESCRIBE THE FIRST COLD SNAP {BELOW 70 DEGREES} AS GOOD CHILI WEATHER. Never heard this one.
A CARBONATED SOFT DRINK ISN`T A SODA, COLA, OR POP.... IT`S A COKE, REGARDLESS OF BRAND OR FLAVOR. EXAMPLE "WHAT KINNA COKE YOU WANT?" True.
YOU KNOW YOU`RE FROM KENTUCKY IF... YOU MEASURE THE DISTANCE IN MINUTES. I do this!
YOU USE "FIX" AS A VERB. EXAMPLE: I AM FIXING TO GO TO THE STORE. This too!

And finally, squirrel brains. I've never known anybody who ate squirrel brains, but then again maybe my circle of friends doesn't intersect with that culinary demographic. But I did have Dr. Joseph Berger as one of my teachers in medical school. And, if I had a more cryptic screen name here at AWAD I could say more on that subject. But of course, Mom was right about what she said...

#90353 12/30/02 02:43 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
YOU KNOW YOU`RE FROM KENTUCKY IF... YOU MEASURE THE DISTANCE IN MINUTES. I do this!

Have you noticed that the American Automobile Association "Tripticks" give both distance and time from point to point?
Makes me wonder if a Kentuckian decided how the Triptick should be set up.
In New England you hear minutes for distances, mostly for local trips when there is a lot of traffic between where you are and where you are going!
Example : It's 20 minutes from Hampton to Portsmouth on Interstate 95 but it's about 35 minutes if you drive U.S. Route 1!
However, for longer distances we tend to use miles as there are so many options as to which roads to take. Example : Portsmouth to Boston is 70 miles. Can be done in anywhere from one hour to an hour-and-a-half depending on your route and how fast you drive.
By the way - the times listed in Tripticks are figured on everyone's driving the posted speed limits.
For example my last Triptick gave 10 hours driving time from Portsmouth NH to Montreal Canada whereas it can be done in eight hours by some! Ahem!
Credential : I was - for awhile many years ago - manager of an AAA office in New Hampshire.

#90354 12/30/02 02:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In New England you hear minutes for distances, mostly for local trips when there is a lot of traffic between where you are and where you are going!

yes! and best of all, the difference between getting there and getting back: it takes me 45 minutes to get to work, but only 35 to get home...

formerly known as etaoin...
#90355 12/30/02 06:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
YOU MEASURE THE DISTANCE IN MINUTES

I think this is pretty common across the country. Measuring distance in 6-packs, on the other hand...

#90356 12/30/02 06:29 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
In reply to:

Measuring distance in 6-packs, on the other hand...

Well it isn't a very long trip if you can't measure it in 12-packs.

Another interesting Kentucky-ism that seems to perplex outsiders and transplants is the frequent description of one's home as such-and-such county, rather than a town. It had never occurred to me that it was anything out of the ordinary, but I have had several non-natives mention it to me.

I think it comes from, among other things, the small size and relative obscurity of most towns in the state. Furthermore, many of these towns are served by a single high school, which is named after the county. The high schools participate in athletics, of course, and so one encounters people from other towns in that context. e.g. You might not know where the heck Midway, Kentucky is, but you recognize Woodford County as a place with an identity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,343
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 757 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith