S
sjm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Finally, I get to do this! I started to, many hours ago, but got interrupted. About how old is Mr. English? Is he young, by any chance? That's the only thing I can think of that might explain why someone who has a first-class honours degree in English literature would opt for not reading a book because he has now seen the movie. (Notice I am making no mention of the position he holds. And, I do love that word, kulcha! ) FWIW, I am now reading "The Neverending Story". I hadn't realized the movie was based on a book until I saw this one at a sale a few weeks ago. Based on what I have read so far, the movie stuck remarkably close to it.

Naturally, I went to some other links from your page (thank you), and found this curious (to me) statement:
David Sampson has virtually sold out of Christmas trees with seven more sleeps until Christmas. I couldn't figure it out at first, then realized that, with the difference in time zones, it was indeed 7 days till Christmas when that was written. Do you-all normally say sleeps instead of days?

S
sjm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Bill English is probably in his mid 40s - Pfranz will probably know for sure.

"sleeps" is a kids thing - counting down to a landmark event by the number of times one has to go to sleep before the longed-for day arrives.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 580 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith