Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Would you say the following was a plausible interpretation of Schroedinger's famous analogy:

The truth condition of an untested proposition is such that the argument can be true if and only if it remains untested. If, then, one should test the proposition, it will necessarily be false, its truth value being otherwise indeterminate.

If so, how would one express this as an argument in logical positivistic terms, that is, with respect to a physical state of being and not merely to an argument?

Thanks,
IP

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Are you equating the argument as being that the cat is both dead and alive?

I've always thought that all Schrödinger's cat showed us is that we can't draw conclusions from ignorance.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
If you don't already have a headache like mine, try reading this translation of the otiginal
paper. I'm sure it will give you one. http://www.qedcorp.com/pcr/pcr/qcat.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
try reading this translation

Not tonight dear, I have a headache.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
okay, here's one layperson's translation:

You put a cat in a box. Then you have poison that can be triggered by a quantum event-perhaps a half-silvered mirror that you send an electron through. The electron has a fifty-fifty chance of actually going through the mirror. If it goes through, it triggers the poison. So there's a 50% chance that the cat is dead, and a 50% chance that the cat is alive. But according to quantum theory, until the observation is made, the electron both did and didn't go through the mirror, and the cat is therefore both dead and alive. Schrödinger said that according to quantum theory, until a conscious observer opens the box and looks, the cat is both dead and alive.

Schrödinger's point was that the conscious observer interpretation was absurd.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and Heisenberg said that when you opened the door you changed the outcome anyway, so why bother looking...

formerly known as etaoin...
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
No. I'm suggesting that the proposition that the cat is alive is by definition untestable and that its truth value is therefore indeterminate. This is in distinction to the proposition that "the cat observed is dead" is unambiguously true. I am not suggesting that S's cat says that "the cat is at once both alive and dead" is true.

I think Schroedinger's cat is a demonstration, by analogy, of the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics. But although it seems to deal with the conditions of a physical fact, what it really does is propose a truth condition for a proposition, i.e., that "the cat is alive." In this, it is distinguished from the uncertainty principle which deals with actual observation of actual phenomena in terms of the definitive pairs of qualities of those phenomena: position and speed. Unlike the viability/lack of viability of the cat, however, the position and speed of an electron are not expressions of a logical argument; they are properties of a physical phenomenon. If I am right, S's cat is only meant to illustrate the uncertainty principle by means of a thought experiment that is only partially analogous to it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hehe. got ya' by 5 seconds...

formerly known as etaoin...
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Thanks, tsuwm.

Although your clarification does make my project a bit more difficult.

IP

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In truth, the cat is just too big to validate the analogy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 642 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith