Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#87513 11/21/02 10:36 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
well, there's still a chance for connie to slip in the back door of the other still-obvious thread and vote, but with a lawsuit once again hanging over my head I've got to post this and go meet with my crack lawyer team, Cohn & McCarthy..

codos to ASp for garnering four actual votes plus identifying cilly as cryptology terminology. I think that's worth six(6) points all tolled [sic]. honorable mention to Fiberbabe for garnering three votes, Wordwind for three votes minus one of those execrable se'f votes, and teD for also decoding this riddled mass.

here's caradea's exegesis, which accompanied her suggestion:

cillies are predictable message "keys" used by lazy axis Enigma operators, who were supposed to choose three *random letters to determine the positions of the scramblers each morning. Bletchey cryptanalysts discovered that consecutive keys such as QWE or ASD were sometimes used, and it was just what they needed to crack Enigma. the name "cillies" supposedly comes from the initials of one of the operators' girlfriends: C.I.L. ~ it was evidently easy for him to remember. Bletchley was already using the Polish bombes, but they took too long ~ feeding a list of cillies into the bombes often reaped quicker results.

the definition as given is from The 1944 Bletchley Park Cryptographic Dictionary, which can be found online.

here then are the compleat results; as always the contributor is in brackets with votes following..

a) describes the facial expression of one who has a nasal hair tickling the side of his/her nose [RC]

b) the name for the mechanism that produces several graph lines at once as may be found in a lie detector, a seismograph, etc [consuelo]

c) an Italian version of chili, somewhat similar to the Tex-Mex variety but substituting cannellini for kidney beans and featuring traditional Italian herbs, including basil, oregano, and garlic [slithyt] dodyskin

d) WITHDRAWN, for lack of support (this is what is known in hogwash circles as an Alabama Bounce [apologies to Bill Safire and his 'Jersey Bounce'])

e) type of mathematical puzzle popular in the 19th century [Bingley] bonzai

f) the wrapping at the base of a double-reed that assures a snug fit onto the bocal of the bassoon or oboe [f'babe] sjm, Faldage, dxb

g) descriptive of tiny, eyelash-like protrusions on lower marine life forms [ASp] Bankroll, Bingley, rkay, RC

h) to use as the outside indicator of an Enigma message the letters appearing in the windows at the end of the enciphering of the previous message, thereby revealing the finished position for message and, in certain circumstances, facilitating the determination of its true setting and wheel-order (from the initials of the girlfriend of a German operator, who found them easy to remember) [The 1944 Bletchley Park Cryptographic Dictionary] ASp, teD

i) (slang) insanity induced by lead poisoning [musick]

j) a Coast Guard officer [Jazzo]

k) a battlefield formation used with great success by the Roman legions during Caesar's earliest campaigns [WO'N]

l) a meadow strewn with flints (These meadows are found on chalk downs and are used for grazing sheep. The soil is too shallow for crops and the grass insuffiently lush to fatten cattle adequately. Originally was two words, "cill lye". Cills being igneous rock intrusions and lye being the old word, or one of them, for a meadow.) [dxb]

m) an obsolete variant of the word silly [ron obvious] Jazzo

n) the decorative, frilled hem of a slip that is designed to peep from under the skirt of a latin dancer [dodyskin] musick

o) a hairlike tail or end [Wordwind] F'babe, Ww (se'f-vote), W'ON, slithy t,

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Miscount:

In reply to:

Wordwind for three votes minus one of those execrable se'f votes

Now wait a doggone minute,tsuwm. This has not been your week for math.

Wordwind (that's me) didn't receive three votes minus one for her (my) own. If you count (using cardinal numbers here and not ordinal ones, thank you very much, wwh) Fiberbabe, Slithy, W'On and WW, then that's four minus one, not three minus one, unless you're pulling this "last" business in some confounded new way you figured out while taking that evening walk yesterday.

Do we dare try multiplication here?

Congratulations, AnnaS, by the way. Impressive round!

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
I read tsuwm's statement as meaning three votes, after one vote had been subtracted.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, geez. Here we go again.

Actually, sjm, this time I can see both sides. I'd say it was ambiguous. How's that for waffling?

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>I'd say it was ambiguous.

Ambiguity - the Devil's volleyball.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>Wordwind for three votes minus one of those execrable se'f votes..

ambiguous? yes, and it certainly wouldn't read well had I wrote "Wordwind for three votes plus one of those execrable se'f votes.."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, tsuwm kept it at three because he must've had a premonition of my present action: I'm withdrawing my vote for WW's def (nothin' personal) to protest our abandoning that great running-talley chart we kept so diligently ages ago...'cause the points are no longer relevant, akshually®. I mean, if we dunno who's gonna win the Winston Cup at the end of all this, what's the point? (except for it bein' fun, of course!) "Course it wouldn't surprise me if it was sjm who made that chart "go away"...he of the famous Aught...or was it One Point?

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
W'On, I don't have any problem with your withdrawal. I'd like to withdraw my s'ef vote, but I'd like to give it to AnnaS. Seems s'ef votes should have a bit more fluidity than other kinds.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...and if nominated I will not run! If elected I will not serve! unless we get our talley chart back...I weren't doing too awfully badly there, I believe...and ever since it's disappeared it seems I've been jinxed Hogwash-wise...could tsuwm be holding it in escrow for some future nefarious bartering purposes? I'm just askin'! I'm just sayin'!

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Hey !! will you kids just stop that bickerin' ???

I'm tryin' to do some work over here!

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>to protest our abandoning that great running-talley chart we kept so diligently ages ago...

I'm afraid that not all of the hogmasters were all that diligent, Juan (or, it's not my fault this time).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And slip in I did. Give musick his point. Is that your first, K-L?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm afraid that not all of the hogmasters were all that diligent, Juan (or, it's not my fault this time).

Okay...fair enough, tsuwm. I do recall that the chart seemed to slip away when other so-called (ahem!) Hogmasters were in charge. we know youse the only true Hogmaster® , tsuwm! So I'm withdrawing my withdrawal...you can have your vote and point back, Dub-Dub.

M
old hand
old hand
M
So I'm withdrawing my withdrawal...you can have your vote and point back, Dub-Dub. ~ WhitmanO'Neill.

*Darn you Whitman, that was just about the most decent thing I've ever seen...

Hey Hogmaster! I'm withdrawing my withdrawal too.

Milum.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Beware! withdrawal does not offer complete protection!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 718 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith