Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Juan, don't you know nuffink? The Wright Brothers were beaten to the punch by one Richard Pierce, a Canterbury (NZ) farmer who reputedly flew a No.8 wire contraption some months before Orville and Wilbur donated their names to Mayberry.

A full-sized replica of his plane (using the word very, very loosely) has been hanging in the international terminal at Wellington airport for a couple of years. Frightens the bejeezus out of first-time visitors from overseas who are about to consider a domestic flight, it really does ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
reputedly flew

One flap of the wings...or two?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sometimes my mind is rather slow--sorry. But I just had this thought: if you haven't tried this already, might it be easier to find things "from the other end"? That is, perhaps you could search for something like 'Important Events of 1903", and possibly more usable things would come up.

R
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
R
You are spot-on right, Jackie. I tried googling 1903 and came up with a host of interesting things - then the same for 1803.
I am going to try 1703 today, if I have time.

Many thanks.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You're welcome.

#86817 11/24/02 10:30 PM
D
addict
addict
D
(was Canada still a british Commonwealth in 1903?)

still is in 2002 mate, and will be in 2003
http://www.rcscanada.org/commonwealth/history.html
as is
Aden, Aitutaki, Alderney, Anguilla, Antigua, Ascension, Australia, Australian Antarctic, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Barbuda, Basutoland, Botswana, British Antarctic, Guiana, Honduras, British Indian Ocean Territories, Brunei, Caicos Is, Cayman Is, Christmas Is, Cook, Dominica, Falkland Is, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Ginralta, Gilbert Is, Britain, Britain Regionals, Grenada, Grenada Grenadines, Guernsey, Guyana, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jamaica, Jersey, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Leeward Is, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Montserrat, Nauru, Nevis, New Guinea, New Zealand, Nigeria, Niue, Norfolk Is, North Borneo, Oman, Papa New Guinea, Penrhyn, Pitcairn, the Ross Dependencies, St Helena, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Vincent, Vincent Grenadines, Samoa, Sarawak, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa (though they were excluded for some time during apartheid), Solomon Is, Southern Nigeria, South Georgia, Straits Sett, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tokelu, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tritan Da Cunha, Turks and Caicos Is, Tuvalu ( which is almost entirely destroyed now anyway), Uganda, Vaitupu, Vanuatu, Venda, Virgin Is, Zaire, Zambia, Zanzibar, Zimbabwe

I may have missed a few off, and apologies in advance for spelling mistakes.

#86818 11/24/02 10:55 PM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
(was Canada still a british Commonwealth in 1903?)

still is in 2002 mate, and will be in 2003

Canada was not part of the British Commonwealth in 1903 - nowhere was, because it didn't exist. In fact, it still doesn't. The Commonwealth of Nations replaced the old British Empire, most member states of which were not ever "commonwealths" themselves. NZ was a Dominion, as was Canada. Australia still is a Commonwealth, and many of the names on the list are not even sovereign states of any description. My next-door neighbour, for example, comes from Aitutaki, one of the islands making up The Cook Islands. There is no longer any such "state", for want of a more precise word, as "Malaya," "Southern Nigeria", or "Zanzibar, "and the Commomwealth has been expanded to include many African nations that were never part of the British Empire, including Mozambique. The current Sec-Gen of the Commonwealth of Nations is a former NZ Deputy PM, Don MacKinnon, and, while the Queen is currently the head of the Commonwealth, the chances of that job being dynastic are about as good as my chances of winning a Nobel Prize.

edit:
Here is the current list of members of what is, it seems, officially called simply, "The Commonwealth":
http://www.thecommonwealth.org/dynamic/Country.asp

#86819 11/25/02 12:17 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
South Georgia!?

Honey, don' let 'em hear you say that down in Valdosta (here, have you some grits and a nice piece of pecan pie)

#86820 11/25/02 11:35 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Grenada!?

And what was USns doing there back under King Ronnie, sweeping up loose ends from the Misunderstanding of 1812?

#86821 11/26/02 11:23 AM
D
addict
addict
D
sorry for my hideously out of date info, I learned them all when I had whooping cough when I was a kid, you'd think I'd know it's just the Commonwealth now seeing as we had the games here in the summer. Ah well, serves me right for being a knowitall

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 198 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith