Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
R
Does any one know of a web-site which lists anniversaries of famous people/significant events? In particular, I am looking for centenaries celebrated in 2003?
I am probably looking for all-British celebrations, although euro or world-wide centenaries might be acceptable if they had a significant effect over here.
Any field of endeavour will be considered, so even if you only know of a list of anniversaries for one topic, it would be useful.

Many thanks

all the best

H

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
You could try this. There is an amazing amount of info'. But it may not be quite the kind of approach you need. Cheers.

http://www.scopesys.com/anyday/

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
It ain't Brit ('cepting how they now make Jags 'n all) but there's a little ole USn company calling itself the Ford Motor Company wot turns a hundred in 2003, apparently.

R
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
R
Thank you, dxb, It will be a bit painstaking to go through the whole year, day by day, but it does do quite a lot of what I'm looking for - and it will all be in the boss' time!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Does any one know of a web-site which lists anniversaries of famous people/significant events?
If what you need is simply the information, I'd recommend calling the newspaper(s)--they obviously have some way of keeping track of events like this.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear Poet,

Here's a site that, while it doesn't list centenaries as such, is a lot of fun and very useful if you want to go day by day. That's all I can think of for the moment:

http://www.historychannel.com/

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi Rhuby...goggling 'Centennial Celebrations 2003' I turned up this, which would seem to be the major historical event of the year: The Centennial of Flight...the 100th Anniversary of the Wright Brothers' first flight in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, in December of 1903. Here's the website:

http://www.celebrate100.org/index.cfm

And there's plenty other hits by googling what I mentioned (I also tried adding list or listng onto it). But it seems like you'll just have to skim though all the different centennial sites to see what you can use. I'll keep trying to find a one-page listing for you.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And look Rhuby! It's the Centennial celebration for Holley's Hotrod fleet!

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/MtrSport/Fleet.html
(yeah, I'm sure this site will help you get some work done...)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here's a few more:

A couple of towns in Canada, Lloydminster and Regina, and a historic old hotel in Toronto, Le Royal Meridien King Edward Hotel. (was Canada still a british Commonwealth in 1903?)

The ratification of the Panama Canal Treaty (British shipping no longer had to go around Cape Horn to reach the Pacific).

The incorporation of the Ford Motor Company.

And, most importantly of all, the Centennial Celebration of the first World Series played between the Boston Pilgrims and Pittsburgh Pirates in 1903!

R
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
R
Many thanks to all of you for your help.
I had hoped for a quick fix, but couldn't find anything on any of the search engines - you have more or less confirmed that I will have to do it the hard way - but at least you have turned up some of the centenaries for me, so it has been well worthwhile asking the question!
These will form the theme for a series of lectures in the summer term, next year (Not given by me, I hasten to add! - I hire a fleet of experts to do that job.)
My University has, for about nine years, now, presented ten lectures each term to the public, in a lecture hall down in the town centre, rather than up on campus. These are free, and the lecturers are mostly experts in their field, either from Lancaster Uni or from neighbouring Higher Education Institutions. Now and again, I use non-academic lecturers and each year I try to give two or three postgraduates the opportunity to lecture to a public audience.
I have been running the programme for the past three years, during which time the average audience has risen from just below 30 to nearly 50 - which means that, occasionally, we play to capacity crowds - a bum on each of the 87 seats in the lecture theatre! {smile]

When introducing the series, I shall give due acknowledgement for the international help I have received to set up the summer '03 series.
Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 233 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith