Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#85715 11/07/02 11:02 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
In hockey the equivalent is a net-cam. It's attached to the net right behind the goalie, so mostly you see the back of his head if he's standing still. When the Oxford Canadian dictionary came out a few years ago, it was one of the entries marked Canadian. That was fairly thrilling. I'm sure the word has gained wider usage now that hockey is also popular in the US.

#85716 11/07/02 10:23 PM
J
J
Watching the World Series last month, I wondered why Foxtel doesn't have more innovative camera angles. What about a lipstick-cam mounted on the catcher's helmet? Actually to see that curve ball would be a great televisual experience for us couch potatoes. In 18ft skiff racing in Oz they have these mounted on the captain's helmet and it certainly adds to the immediacy.

#85717 11/08/02 04:00 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
This poor guy was crossing the border to take minimum and less than minimum wage jobs in the states to support his family.

What is the matter with people. Furor instead of happiness for someone's being able to make life easier for his family. I mean, c'mon, even years before the proliferation of U.S. lottery choices there were plenty of people who bet in the Irish Sweeps! And there is (or was, is it still?) a Canadian lottery that pays off in gold! My brother - a U.S. citizen) used to drive up to Montreal to buy a ticket yearly.
Sometimes I despair for the hard-heartedness displayed by people to those not exactly like themselves.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
We here i the US are sadly and sorely afflicted with an emerging conservatism thta precludes us from seeing any value in others, particularly others who are different. We are losing a part of the underlying humanity and goodness that has made the US a pretty good place to live in and a country that is pretty good to the rest of the world.

This xenophobia extends into parts of the fabric of our society that most people don't recognize. For example, the corporate culture of greed. It used to be that the greed in the American marketplace was linked directly to what was good for the shareholder. To some extent all of us are or could be shareholders.

But of late what we've seen is personal greed rising up to strangle the corporate greed. CEOs and CFOs and their cronies are now lining their own pockets at the expense of the shareholders. Enron, Global Crossing, Quest, etc. etc. ad nauseam. And this greed extends into the highest levels of our government. Bush's stock trading was, if not illegal, certainly very sleazy. And I predict that Cheney will be the second US vice president to resign in disgrace. What happened at Halliburton was almost as criminal as what went on inside Enron. And there appears to be ample indication that a subsidiary of Halliburton was the recipient of a very large government contract apparently without even bidding on it. How does stuff like this happen? Because some of us have turned away from a set of values that at least recognized the right of others to exist, and we have replaced it with a mindset in which the winner of the game is he who screws over everyone, even his own relatives.

Pretty sad.

TEd
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 651 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith