Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#85427 11/02/02 11:44 AM
J
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
J
I happened to think of my friend, Quinten Keynes, talking about the time he went to the Olympic Games in Berlin. He said he heard Hitler on the radio, and that it scared him. This started me thinking. Did Hitler just talk about politics in those famous rallies, or was it a platform to lanch off his prejudices?

#85428 11/02/02 01:52 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear jimthedog: I remember hearing Hitler on the radio, but don't remember much about
what he said. Mostly he was bragging about how powerful Germany had become.
Get a copy of his book "Mein Kampf". In translation, of course.

#85429 11/02/02 01:56 PM
J
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
J
Oh. That makes sense, knowing his character.

I could probably read Mein Kampf in German. I managed to find a dictionary last year. It was printed during the war.

#85430 11/02/02 02:38 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hitler was an extremely able leader who took a demoralized country and made it great
again. If he had not been so virulently anti-Semitic that he murdered so many innocent
people, he could be admired. We were lucky that he made the fatal blunder of invading
Russia.

#85431 11/02/02 04:45 PM
J
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
J
Yes. It's too bad some people think like that for no logical reason.

#85432 11/02/02 04:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dr bill, i think you comment--Hitler was an extremely able leader who took a demoralized country and made it great again. If he had not been so virulently anti-Semiticis not just simplistic, but wrong.

"the engine" that drove the economy was partly from stealing assets from not just the jews, but many others.. and from killing not just jews (the largest percent of the victims) but also handicapped, mental ill and chronicly ill, who were seen to non-human beings, who drained the econmy.

the jews made up close to 6 million of Hilters 8 to 10 million victims. Homeless (some gypsies, some just homeless) "illegal aliens" (many poles and others) and many of the sick, handicapped, and mental retarded and mentally sick made up the other millions of his victims. the numbers are hard to know, since many of the poor, homeles, and illegals just didn't have documentation.. and still have no one lamenting their passing. No one forgets about the genoside of the jews, because they have tried to make it unforgettable... but no one speaks out much for the gypsies.

the man was not just an anti semite, but a monster. many countries have had anitsematic leaders.. Jews were driving out of england for while (and later, allow in, but as second class citizens) out of spain, (where most if not all of their assest were seized) and else where, but hilter went beyond being an anti semite, and tried to commit genoside, killing not just german jews, but all the jews in europe, as well as 'purifying' european stock of physical and mental "misfits".

this is not a minor character flaw. there is no way he could be admired by any rational person.
his cruelty was not just visited on jews, and can not just be written off as anti semitism (as if some how, anti semitism was well, not nice, but well understandable... and something we all have but have learned not to talk about.. but something we have all come to a gentleman's agreement about.)

the man was cruel and barbaric, and has no worthy traits to admire.

#85433 11/02/02 05:19 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy: I repeat what I said: Hitler revitalized a demoralized nation. His methods were not
admirable, and he was in many ways a monster. But as Leo Durocher said, nice guys don't win
ballgames.

#85434 11/14/02 06:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dr. Bill...please don't forget, Hitler's "Master Plan" included the extermination of the entire Slavic race...that's the Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, Yugoslavs (the Balkans), Bulgarians, Rumanians, Ukrainians, and greater Russia...and then re-populating all of those lands with the Germanic people. That's why he gave the order to "shoot anything that moves" when he invaded Russia and slaughtered 20-50 million people (7 million of those military casualties... the rest innocents). And earlier had ordered the Luftwaffe to strafe tens of thousands of helpless refugees (mostly women and children)on the roads of Poland and Yugoslavia when he invaded those countries. He railed against the "Jew and Slav vermin" in Mein Kampf and other writings and speeches. He was a madman...pure and simple. (that doesn't mean he was wasn't intelligent, attractive, and charismatic...he did possess all those attributes which helped him accrue power). But how he came to power and what he did once he had that power are two different things. Doubtless his thirst for "racial purification" would have spread, if God forbid he had conquered Europe, to the Greeks, the Hungarians, the Italians, the Spaniards, the Portugese, and ultimately the Gallic French and Celts who were not Anglo-Saxon. Yes, we can all be thankful he invaded Russia like a fool...but a big part of that premature decision was the Brits fending him off in the Battle of Britain which discouraged him from his planned invasion of the British Isles across the Channel. Let's tip our hats to our British friends, too. The Blitz they perservered was no picnic. Hitler's original plan was to conquer Britain first, and then to impress the British armed forces for use in his invasion of Russia...but it didn't quite work out that way, did it?

#85435 11/14/02 08:31 PM
J
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
J
Whit: We had trials of famous dictators in our history class recently. The prosecution in the Hitler trial barely touched on the things besides attacks on Jews. I wonder if anyone else in my class even knew about what you said.

Both sides were rather weak, but the defense was unable to realise that it's Judaism, not Jewism, so I voted guilty. I was also one of two who voted Deng Xiouping guilty.

#85436 11/15/02 02:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The death camps, killed six million or so jews, out of almost 10 million killed..
in addition, as german forces moved eastward, they didn't much distinguish between civilians or military targets. the russians, had, like germany a stong central goverment, and good records, so we know more about the numbers. much of poland was rural, and church (baptismal and death) records were more accurate than government reords.. so the tally of the dead in these countries is harder to know.

jewish organizations have made a point about keeping holocast details about jews in the news, so 'everyone' knows about them. but the devistation in europe was pretty wide spread, and got worse and worse as one moved east.

While poland did have large industrial cities (Warsaw and Gdanzt and other) it also had a large rural population. small town and villages, sometimes escaped, other times, were killed... the entire village slaughtered, and building leveled, the whole place whiped of the map.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith