Print Thread
#85420 11/01/02 10:31 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I never realized until I encountered association in an old word book that it had anything
anything to do with Athens. Etymology below leaves a lot to be desired.

attic by 1855, from Fr. attique. The term Attic order in
classical architecture meant a small, square decorative
column often used in a low storey above a building's main
facade, a feature associated with the region around Athens.

I have fond memories of pleasantly spending rainy days in the attic of the house where I was born.
The roof was high enough that there was a small separate room that had been where my grandfathers
hostler had slept. I got electricity put in, and could sleep up there. I vividly remember the electrician
testing the circuit by putting his finger into a socket for which I had not yet gotten a bulb. I wouldn't to
that for a thousand dollars. It was a great place on rainy days to read old National Geographics, or
my grandfather's obstetrical books. And I could practice my violin without family being tortured.
And there was a ladder up to a cupola, so we could get out after heavy snow storms to shovel off
a flat portion of roof. And at night, with cupola cover off, it was a great place to observe the stars.

#85421 11/15/02 10:53 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And what do you remember seeing in the stars as you observed in the cupola over Athens? Somehow it seems you went to view the earth's attic up there in your cupola.

Cupola stars makes me think of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House," which I recently re-read--the "cup of stars" motif she keeps weaving into the story. What a frightening, disturbing, and somehow realistic tale of a haunting.

#85422 11/15/02 11:33 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
My father's sister taught us about birds, plants,rocks, and stars. She gave us
a planisphere and taught us the names of the constellations. My older brother built a
six inch reflector telescope. Now all I can do is read astronomy articles in magazines
and look at NASA sites on computer.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 352 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith