Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
of troy,

Thanks for the correction. I edited my comments above.

WW

Edit:

AnnaS:

Thanks for the edit of Helen's edit. I just googled the dadburned title to make sure I wouldn't have to edit again.

#85380 11/02/02 11:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's A Room of One's Own.

#85381 11/03/02 12:08 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Well, dadburn it. Room of One's Own. I'll go back and edit again.

However, the dadburn essay, title aside, is topnotch.

At least it's getting a lot of press here through the screw-up of its title.

Oh, what a day, what a day...

#85382 11/03/02 12:40 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, i confess, i haven't read it... but it is interesting until this thread, i had never thought about French's title refering to Woolf's essay... but now.. i'll have to go back and reread french, and read woolf!

#85383 11/03/02 12:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Would that have been the book with the title The Ladies' Room in regular type face with Ladies' graffiti-scratched out and Women's written in?

If so, I saw, in a bldg. at Cornell, upon an occasion that brought in many non-Cornellians, a hand written sign directing folks to the ladies' room. Someone had graffiti-scratched out ladies' and written in women's. Someone else had graffiti-scratched out women's and, skipping a step, written in woperdaughters'.

#85384 11/03/02 03:06 PM
V
vika Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings (Faldage)

Humanum humani est sorry if there are mistakes in Latin

My experience of academic life is somewhat contradictory to reports about sexism in science. I don’t know why situation should be worse in States than in Russia or in Britain. During my undergraduate years I did encounter a lecturer who though that a woman can not have 5 in Physics but that was his personal problem – he was forced to be objective and his private opinion didn’t matter. People in Russia are judged by their academic merit (sometimes by connections as well) but the sex doesn’t matter. 2 out of 7 heads of Departments of the Faculty of Biology of the Belorussian State University are women and most of the lecturers are women as well.

In UK my supervisor was a woman. She is a brilliant scientist: Prof., MRS etc Most of her PhD students were women and at least tree of them have become professors and group leaders. None of the men did. My supervisor is married. All her female former PhD students that are professors and group leaders are married and have children

I think talks that women are not getting education they deserve are outdated. In Russia it is considered that to be a doctor is a good profession for a female. I have always been encouraged by my parents to study whatever I wish. They had been helping me though the years of my undergraduate studies sending me money and would have done so during my postgraduate studies if I didn’t do my degree in UK. I am immensely grateful to them for all they did for me. (btw, I know microbe hunters . it has been translated into Russian) So there are parents and parents. Yes, there are not many women- politicians in Russia but the number of women-politicians does not reflect a situation with the right of women in the country. Think about Benasir Bhutto and Pakistan, for example.

Cleaning – washing - cooking –mending is not taking a lot of time anymore, thanks to vacuum-cleaner, washing machine, microwave etc. It is a question of choice that every woman should make alone: do I want to be a house wife? Do I want to be a professional and earn the money? What is my choice – a brilliant career and no family or a less successful career but I want to have children as well?

I think it is time to move from feminism, which fights with man’s world to post-feminism, which understands: women are equal with men but we have to improve ourselves rather then cry about oppression and underestimation.

#85385 11/03/02 04:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
women are equal with men

yes, vika, i agree with statement immediately above..from your most recent post, but in the beginning of this thread, you said something entirely different.
exactly. it seems that to be a genius is more a trait of males -and female's abilities have less deviation from the norm - whatever the norm is.

you can't have it both ways! if woman are equal, they have an equal chance at genius... there is not one norm for males of species, and other for females.

#85386 11/03/02 05:56 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Vika,

Your error is in thinking that feminism is an intellectual issue. It is not. It is a social issue with no bounds in logic.

In this deterministic world there are two sexes of the species homo sapien sapien. If we look at each other we can easily see that evolution has effected dimorphism as a prime aspect of group continuance, with the smaller female in charge of directing the larger male to behavior conducive towards procreation.

But with smaller female bodies came smaller brains, but these female brains were fine lean brains well focused and the system worked well for a long, long, time.

Then social evolution gradually replaced biological evolution and we are where we are today.

As when lifting heavy boxes you can make the boxes lighter by legislating lighter boxes, we are attempting to re-make our society by ignoring the reality of the world and pretending that basic sexual differences just don't exist.

Fat chance.

#85387 11/03/02 06:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
milum, you're not just playing devils advocate, but the devil himself!-- and i notice you are making two different arguements at one time!

first, there is some, but not a great deal of sexual dimorphism in human. while on average, woman are smaller than men, the is a large overlap. small men are sometimes shorter than the average woman, and tall women taller than the average man. the dimorphism is slight (unlike say our cousins the great apes, where males are generally 2 to 2.5 times bigger than females, this difference not just in weight, but in stature, jaw and tooth size and many other physical featues, and at maturity, no female is bigger than even a small mature male)

secondly, there is a great deal of evidence that brain size has little to do with the ability to think.. (einstiens brain is well below the 50th percentile in size, but he was one of the great thinkers of our age... and there is no evidence that brain size effects the ability to think with in normal bounds..)

but you are absolutely right, error is in thinking that feminism is an intellectual issue. It is not. It is a social issue with no bounds in logic.

the greatest dimorphism that exist, is in cultural values.

for the past 40 years or so, a majority of medical doctors in Russia (former USSR) were female. these women practiced all specialites, includeing surgery. Medicine was considered a "femine field of endevor" -- in western europe, and US, woman have made progress, but have not yet acheived parity overall, and in some fields remain minorites. Medicine (and surgery in particual) is considered masculine.

These social constructs, that equate a what should be a neutral, (medicine) with sexual traits, (feminine in USSR, masculine in Western europe/US) has resulted in different out comes.
it is not logicial... it is social!

curiously, a second social factor comes into play.

in this country, medical doctors incomes, and engineers incomes (engineering being another "masculine field") are close in range.

In the USSR, engineering is also considered a masculine field, and engineer earn signifigantly more than doctors..

since both professions require many years of schooling, and interships, and licencing... the difference in compensation are strange... -- and when contrasted with western europe almost equal valuation, it becomes more marked..

it is an other example of "womens work" being undervalued!

but is suspect, if i pushed you, you could come up with any number of references verifying these comments, and provide even greater detail. if you continue to try to provoke, me, i will be force to get tough with you... i'll give you kiss after kiss, until melt, red as alabama clay!

#85388 11/04/02 12:06 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Sorry, only just found this thread. I was supposed to be reading some background material for a Masters Degree that I am doing but I had too much ironing/clothes-sorting-out to do so that the kids have school uniforms tomorrow and we don't have to play "hunt the socks" again (I just dropped by while I was waiting for the spin cycle to finish on the washing machine) but it's OK, my daughter (who was trying to avoid doing her homework) did some ironing while I went out to get the food shopping, so it wasn't really all that bad this week. It's now 1am and I might have got round to my reading today if I hadn't had to help my other daughter with her homework earlier (just before cooking the meal). I'd have asked my husband to help with all this but he really does work too hard and had a lecture to prepare before another exhausting day tomorrow. I'm off to read for the next hour - who needs sleep?

By the way, anyone know where I can find a wife? I can't imagine that Einstein had to put his books on one side while he did the ironing.
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/comm/csj/961122/ein.html

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith