Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#85233 11/01/02 03:50 PM
D
addict
addict
D
By the way Dodyskin – how is Little Mo?

no, but seriously, she's only gone and stood up to Trevor at last, and burnt the sodding house down! I'm going to miss it tonight as well, have got to go to my birthday party (bah humbug).

#85234 11/01/02 04:53 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
back in June

June 2001. Wow. I felt like it was a while ago (i.e. not this June) so I looked at it. BTW, helen, your link is cold. I also felt very deja-vu-y about this recent side bar. Now I know why. I will hereby stop my discussion of the War of 1812 so as not to bore anyone.

#85235 11/01/02 05:14 PM
V
V
Bean,

thank you for mentioning it because I didn't know there was another war in 1812...apart from the one described in "War and peace"

#85236 11/01/02 05:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(i fixed the link above to the 1812 war thread of June 00)

well its not really a different war, its more of another part of it..

from the US perspective, we didn't like there brits boarding US ships and taking sea men off (and the sea men, being no fools were taking jobs on US ships rather than be drafted into the british navy), since brittan was at war with the french... and secondly, the brits were trying to blockade american from trading with france.. but since france was at war, they were willing to pay higher prices (and good yankee traders was going to take advange of that!) and with out the french trade, the brits would have had a serious monopoly on US trade, and could drive prices down!
a monopoly on trade would have been a head i win, tails you lose, case for the Brits in the matter of trade with the fledgling US.

at the same time, the US thought it was a good time to invade and attempt a take over of Canada, since they figured the brits were busy else where, ie, fighting with the french!

i don't really know what other european countries were involved.. but from you comment, i am guessing Russia was involved too...
it sounds more and more like the war of 1812 was a general free for all--were there decisive winners in europe?

#85237 11/02/02 11:35 AM
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
there was a whole thread devoted to the war of 1812 back in June.. its just a side bar in this thread, but you might enjoy reading the discussion..

I remember that. A very good example of someone saying something without thinking and then refusing to retract his point, even though he realised immediately after speaking that he was wrong.

On topic, I find that there are 4 other people in my school who are equal in intelligence to myself. One of them is related to me, and is registered on this board. Some of you old timers might remember him. There are about ten or fifteen people I can think of that are relative smart, but not as smart as the previous four. The rest are as stupid as dirt.

Note that when I say I am one of the smartest people in the school, I am going off the evidence that every single day, I am told this by way too many people.

#85238 11/02/02 12:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i remember reading a comment about TV once.. the speaker complained that TV in and of itself wasn't bad... but how it was used. he said it was if guttenburg, after inventing the printing press did nothing but print comic books for the first three hundred years.

i suspect Boz and Jim, that there are many smart kids in your school... but for many reasons, they have not caught the reading and love of knowledge bug.. they have good minds, that they let stagnate.

i also think, that through the years, many great minds have been lost. in the past, its was disease and poverty, early death and intolerence to new ideas that were the major problems.

the real sadness of this modern world, is, this is best time in history, more people have access to schools, books, information and the accummulated knowledge of the ages, and only a small percentage is taking real advantage.

#85239 11/02/02 07:17 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I was curious about what may have happened on July 4th of 1775 instead of on 1776, and came across a website that has lots of interesting dates from American history.

Here's the site:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gwhtml/gwtimear.html

One date interesting to me was August 23, 1775, when King George declared that the colonists were in a state of rebellion.

There's a lot of interesting information listed on the site regarding the American Revolution for anyone who's interested in a quick read-through.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,389
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 702 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,572
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,920
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith