About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#8485 04/05/01 07:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As soon as I saw this thread, I knew someone would get in cricket terms, and lo and behold, Rhuby rose to the bait. Well, that's OK by me, since cricket has more wierd expressions then baseball. After all, we have nothing to compare with the likes of "silly mid-on, googly," etc. So Shanks, Rhuby, Max, and the rest of you chaps, let us poor benighted USrs have it.

Nah, we cricket freaks have our fun on the fly and we don't need to horn in on your game. Baseball isn't a popular game in Zild, but we understand it (if not the abiding US fascination with it). And, of course, the Black Sox, our national softball team, won the world champs ... in the US, too.

Go for it.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#8486 04/14/01 03:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The way the Yanks lost to the Red Sox tonight reminded me all-too-painfully of a phrase from baseball: "clutch hitter."
And also of some in-game terms like "passed ball," "up the middle," and "blown save." Well, Mariano's got to lose once or twice a year, you know...so it might as well be on Friday The 13th.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I will refrain from mentioning the recent no hitter but content myself with noting the Pitcher in that recent game became one of just three who have pitched a no hitter in two leagues.
RED SOX! RED SOX! RAH! RAH! RAH!

Now, in general, about baseball: it was drawn to my attention by a psychaitrist chum who happens to be of Irish descent (rara avis) that the game of baseball is very erotic
Consider the shapes of bat and ball, and then all the double entendre ways in which the jargon has been co-opted to describe, ahem, courtship.

Now, to dodge the Gutter Police, let's consider golf.
OOOpps, they are lurking behind the trees in the rough!
WHY, oh why, did I bring this up?
{groan}
I can't stop myself!
HELP!
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
By the way, wow, I didn't know how to work the Mark-Up before.........so, today, in 'celebration' of last night's game, let me put Bill Buckner 'n' Bucky Dent in blazing NY BLUE just for you!

And, speaking of baseball eroticism, how about "hugging the bases"? Or, "hug the base," "hug the bag'?

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Notice how I cleverly substituted erotic for sexual?
Gets us all off the hook!
Ahhh, the choice of the right word!
wow
The posts went w-i-d-e again after BelM's post .. or is it just me?!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hello, wow....Pedro who?

Continuing with baseball erotica...if you accuse a pitcher of wetting his fingers so he can throw a spitball you say "he's going to his mouth." And everybody knows you can't go to your mouth on the mound! Can I get away with that one, wow?

And, when we express affection as we grow older, can it then be said we are "hugging the bag"?

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Can I get away with that ...

I subscribe to Mark Twain's words about the acceptability of puns, jokes, etc.:
"as long as the humor exceeds the vulgarity."
wow

#8492 04/15/01 04:02 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
at the old West Side Park in Chicago there was a mental hospital in back of left
field.

This reminds me of the mental hospital where the movie version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was filmed. It is in Salem, Oregon, and is situated well off the street in front of it, having a very large lawn area between the street and the building. So, it is appropriate here in Oregon to say that the mental hospital is a good bit off Center (street).

G
old hand
old hand
G
Consider the shapes of bat and ball, and then all the double entendre ways in which the jargon has been co-opted to
describe, ahem, courtship.

Well, at least you didn't choose basketball! What would the Irish shrink think of a slam dunk followed by a fast break?

#8494 04/15/01 11:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I subscribe to Mark Twain's words...

Thanks, wow...Twain never fails! And, by the way, reports of his death are no longer greatly exaggerated!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith