About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#84729 10/25/02 07:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I love when people put words in my mouth... but, then again, I've been wooed into a loving mood.

------------

To keep from not being inconsistent, I gotta go with AnnaF assesment of this one. 'Incasual' even sounds better... just like 'unconsistent' woodent.

I'm always willing to let my ears reign over logic...

#84730 10/25/02 07:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm always willing to let my ears reign over logic...

Dyoood!

#84731 10/25/02 08:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dearest love, i started by saying no, i think he is saying and so, made it clear your words were open to being interpted differently, and that what i was expressing was my understanding (how ever warped that might be,) not pehaps not your intended meaning! we all know how easy it is to have a misunderstanding. tweedledee and tweedledum!

i am tone deaf, (as well as thick headed) but i think 'incasual' is horrid! i will support uncasual, but not incasual!

and perhaps, since my words were taken so kindly, i will continue to woo you.. but i am as apt at wooing as i am as spelling so it likely to be a strange romance!

#84732 10/25/02 08:12 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...the OED reveals that uncasual was used at least once in the dimly viewed past, with an olde spelling:

1618 SYLVESTER Panaretus 781 Besides th' off-cutting of All Passages,..Is even to conquer by uncasuall course.

#84733 10/25/02 08:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but perhaps of more interest is this:

Un- is freely prefixed to adjectives of all kinds, except where a Latin form in in-, etc., has definitely established itself in common use. Both forms, however, may co-exist, and in some cases a new formation with un- has been introduced when that with in- has acquired a connotation which it is desirable to avoid. The form with un- is then purely negative, while the other may have almost a positive sense, e.g. un-moral in contrast with immoral. (When the form with un- has similarly acquired a positive implication, the simple negative or neutral sense is expressed by the use of non- or not-.) There is also considerable restriction in the use of un- with short simple adjectives of native origin, the negative of these being naturally supplied by another simple word of an opposite signification. There is thus little or no tendency now to employ such forms as unbroad, undeep, unwide, unbold, unglad, ungood, unstrong, unwhole, unfew, etc., which freely occur in the older language. On the other hand, derivative forms in -al, -ant, -ar, -ary, -ent, -ful, -ic, -ical, -ile, -ish, -ive, -ly, -ory, -ous, -y, etc., are too numerous to be completely recorded. The general character of the less usual or permanent of these and other adjectival forms is illustrated by the following examples, which are a severly restricted selection, and could be indefinitely increased by the addition of less noteworthy material.
In dictionaries of various dates many formations are given of which no real instance has been found. Levins (1570) has unhateful, unprecious. Florio (1598 and 1611) renders equivalent Italian words in in- by such forms as unavailful, unbrittle, uncontinuall, uncoy, unempty, unfrail, unnice, unoffensible, unopen, unplenteous, unshrill, unvalorous. Ash (1775) gives unalphabetical, unattendant, uncohesive, uncompatible, uncompressible, uncompulsive, etc. (about 80 in all). Later dictionaries (Webster, Worcester, etc.), with or without indication of source, have the entries unabundant, unbiographical, uncogent, uncollectible, undeceptive, undeliberative, etc.
Recent formations include: unadult, un-African, unairworthy, unambivalent, unarcadian, unarchæological, un-Australian, unbitchy, unblameworthy, unblasé, unbureaucratic, un-Byronic, uncerebral, uncharismatic, unchic (also absol.), un-Chinese, unchipper, unchoosy, un-Christmassy, uncomfy, uncomposite, uncomradely, unconscient, uncool [esp. cool a. 4e] (also absol.), uncooperative, uncosy, uncranky, uncreditworthy, uncuddlesome, uncuddly, un-Darwinian, undeducible, un-Dickensian, undimensional, undisastrous, undoctrinaire, undynamic, unecological, uneconomic, unecstatic, unecumenical, unegoistic, unegotistic, unegotistical, unerotic, unetymological, unexotic, unfaery (poet.), unfeline, unfeminist, unflamboyant, unflashy, unfond, unfresh, unfurtive, un-Gaelic, ungay, ungimmicky, unglamorous, ungroovy, unhep (also absol.), unhip (also absol.), unhors(e)y, unideological, unintrospective, unirksome, unironic, unironical, un-Islamic, un-Italian, un-Jamesian, un-Japanese, unjingoistic, unkeen (also absol.), unkosher, unlegendary, unlocal, unmarital, un-Marxist, unmawkish, unmeritocratic, unneurotic, unodoriferous, unopen, unpacifist, unphonemic, unphon(e)y (also absol.), unphotogenic, unplatonic, unpolemical, unpolicemanly, unpositive, unprestigious, unpriggish, unprivate, un-Proustian, unpugnacious, unradiogenic, unresilient, unrevolutionary, unrisky, unroadworthy, un-Russian, unscenic, unseductive, unselective, unsemantic, unsexy, un-Shelleyan, unsnobbish, unsorry, un-Spanish, unspecial, unspectacular, unstarchy, unsterile, unstiff, unstuffy, unsycophantic, unsymmetric, untendentious, untense, untherapeutic, unthistly, unticklish, untogether, untouristy (also absol.), untraditional, untrendy, unurgent, unutilitarian, unviable, un-Victorian, unviolent, unvisual, un-Western, un-with-it, unworthwhile, unyoung.

[usage examples abound]

#84734 10/25/02 08:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rocky and I are in the middle of a bachelor party, so today there is only *so much love to go around...

----------

Helen -
A) I saw the "no I think..." part from you,
2) "...intended meaning!"???
&) Does 'uncomprehensible' sound less horrid?

Love is found with many threads attached...

#84735 10/25/02 08:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(When the form with un- has similarly acquired a positive implication, the simple negative or neutral sense is expressed by the use of non- or not-.)
I had wondered about non, but maybe that's really a fourth sense. casual, uncasual, non-casual, formal.
oops, five: informal.

hey, what about unformal?

feel the love...

formerly known as etaoin...
#84736 10/25/02 08:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
so we can make this into a continuum, thus:

formal<>incasual<>uncasual<>nonformal<>noncasual<>unformal<>informal<>casual

#84737 10/25/02 08:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thanks, tsyouwm!

hey, that's why it can be q-pon!

sorry for the cross-thread.

formerly known as etaoin...
#84738 10/25/02 08:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ok--if we can have formal<>incasual<>uncasual<>nonformal<>noncasual<>unformal<>informal<>casual-- how is it that guys think 3 pairs of shoes will do for all occations, and sometimes actualy express the idea that women are crazy for having a dozen (or 6 dozen, but let's not quibble over numbers)

clearly, you need at least 8 pairs of shoes.. one each of
formal<>incasual<>uncasual<>nonformal<>noncasual<>unformal<>informal<>casual style!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 888 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith