Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Oh, Trooooooby!!!

Pee Ess:

Okay, so no billowing, no Hobbit-helping wizard pipes. More like puffs filtered through the nose of Carroll's hookah-smoking caterpillar. BUT, as poetic as we are, that wasn't my point as you'll note in my previous note to your note. So, take note. :)

Q
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Q
Wordwind,

Thanks for the unconventional welcome. I shall do my best to embrace the chaos that such a site as this engenders. Methinks me feeleth at home already ...

#83993 10/21/02 02:55 AM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Shakespeare said "trippingly off the tongue..."

Long as we're being pedantic here, let's note for the record that WS had Hamlet advise the Players to speak the speech "trippingly on the tongue." Makes sense, you gotta admit.

#83994 10/21/02 03:51 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
qtr,

welcome; here are a couple of AWADt standards:

rule 1: when replying to posts (especially those that appear out of sequence when viewed in flat mode) you should try and [allow for lots of cross-references in your reading] provide a bit of context via cut&paste or change of subject, so that the flatlanders can tell more or less what it is to which you reply.

rule 2 - rules? we don' need no steenking rules!

rule 3 - there is no rule 3

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Assuage - feels like velvet in my mouth and satin in my voice

I, too, have always loved the way this word swims with richness as it flows through my mouth before I give it release.!

Welcome to our band of Merry Wordsters, quoththeraven! I can see you fit in quite nicely here.

Another word I love for it's "tripping of tongue" is the Amerindian name for a river in Pittsburgh/Western PA...Monongahela [muh-non-guh-HEE-la]...I just love the way it feels when I say it...Monongahela...Monongahela...

#83996 10/21/02 10:24 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And if we are to regard the Bard for grammatic paragonality we must be ready to endure the most unkindest cuts from our peers.

#83997 10/21/02 10:55 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

You're either whismy or against me.

...The Raven

...The Raven fits right in.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
you'll find the raven, should you desire it, is in Poe's cottage in Fordam (the bronx) NY, just a click or so away from fordham university.(the bust of pallas alas, i never saw-but a stuffed raven was found in the attic of the cottage, and is suspected to be one of the original artifacts of the cottage.)

several of us here make claim to poe as a nieghbor.. i grew up on the original site of the furnished cottage Poe rented while in NY, (it was move a few hundred feet across the street into a park in the early days of 1900's)
BobYoungBalt--also thinks of Poe as his neighbor, being from baltimore, where Poe spent his final days, and WordWind, claims Poe as fine Virginian, and sometime Richmond-ite that she is.

What claim to Poe do claim? do you share his soul? or other kindred relation?

#83999 10/21/02 12:49 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Yes, Poe lived here a while. There is the Poe Museum, the Old Stone House, in which he never lived. It's the oldest building in Richmond. But in the 100th block of East Franklin is Linden Row, and that's possibly the location of where Poe once lived, right across the street from Richmond Public Library. I used to live in Linden Row for only $85.00 a month--back in the mid-70s. But then somebody bought it, poshified it, to use Fish's word, and now its an inn and too expensive for me to step foot into.

I don't know whether Linden Row was standing when Poe lived either there or across the street where the library is now located. Guess I can google it today since school's are closed due to the sniper.

F
veteran
veteran
F
Greetings Blackbird! [sqwaark]

I like "whimsy", but it always makes me think of Jabberwocky's "mimsy", which then transforms itself into "mumsy". Can't have any of that, so I've a slight preference for the whimsical, or even for whimsicality.

"Epicurean" is a nice word, but sadly abused by Epicure being a brand name for stuff in jars (at least here in the UK). Makes me think delicatessens, which is a touch too mundane. I mean, can you see the Romans rushing to the deli to pick up a jar of pickles for the Bacchanalia? Hmmm. Come to think of it..

A word I keep coming back to, but never get much chance to use, is Milliard.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 845 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith