Print Thread
#83544 10/14/02 01:48 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I stumbled on this site which has a long list of words from Arabic.
The definitions are skimpy, but many of the words were new to me,
that is, I had not previously known they were of Arabic origin.

http://www.zompist.com/arabic.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and i stumbled on one this week too, carboy.

while carboy is a word i know, i would tend to use demijohn (discussed in the not to distant past, if any new comer's want to look it up)
Carboy is technically from persian, not arabic, qarabah, a large leather milk bottle, but the english meaning is a large bottle (glass or plastic) enclosed in basket work or a wooden crate, especially used for for corrosive liquids.

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear of troy: "carboy" used to be and probably still is standard word for very large
glass containers of various acids kept in chem lab supply, and sometimes kept
in lab with glass tubing syphon, to replenish each student's pint sized glass stoppered
bottles. At least that's the way it was fifty years ago.

To my amazement, it is not in my dictionary!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
technically from persian, not arabic

Depending on what you mean by technically from. According to m-w it's from Arabic through Persian. I've seen wordlists of this sort that would list a word like carboy as being from Arabic if that's the language they're featuring or from Persian if that's the one and then turn around and list some word that came from Persian through Arabic and claim that as their own, as well.

B
old hand
old hand
B
In our house the carboy is the big glass jug (23 L, I think that's 5 gallons, but don't ask me whose gallons) which we use to make wine and beer. There's no wicker around the bottom. If you are a home wine-and-beer maker that is the first image that comes to mind, the wickerless kind. Or at least it is for me!

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
The only wicker covered carboys I ever saw were in the Philippines. Just before our lab had opened
there had been many cases of methyl alcohol poisoning from irresponisoble Philippino entrepreneurs
bottling and selling salvaged Japanese truck fuels, some of which were pure ethyl alcohol, and
some were pure methyl alcohol, some mixtures of both. So all alcoholic beverages had to be lab
tested. The largest distillery on Luzon, Tanduay, had been blacklisted by lab we replaced. Our
chemist found that the alleged methyl alcohol found in Tanduay's product was from a flavoring
agent imported from US, with a methyl ester giving a false test for methyl alcohol. Tanduay
was so grateful to us that they sent us a carboy of their best stuff every week. The first one
to arrive got dropped by one of our officers who was in and out of DT's, and had shakes so
bad he let carboy fall on cement pavement, where in spite of wicker covering it shattered.
I saw him lying right down on the pavement lapping up a puddle. That was the last time
I saw him.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith